Professor David Francis
- When War Ends in Africa: building peace in divided communities Ashgate: May 2012 (edited)
- Policing in Africa Palgrave /Macmillan, April 2012 (Edited)
- National States and the Challenges of Regional Integration in West Africa Paris: Karthala, December 2011 (ed.) (UNESCO – SHS MOST Project)
- US Strategy in Africa: AFRICOM, Terrorism and Security Challenges Routledge, Feb. 2010 (Edited)
- Peace and Conflict in Africa (ed.) London: Zed Books, September 2008 (Translated into Arabic in May 2010 by the Egypt-based Arabic Translation Institute)
- Uniting Africa: Building Regional Security Systems, Aldershot: Ashgate January 2006.
- Civil Militias: Africa’s Intractable Security Menace? (ed.) Aldershot: Ashgate, 2005.
- Dangers of Co-deployment: UN Cooperative Peacekeeping in Africa Aldershot: Ashgate, December 2004 (co-authored with Mohamed Faal, Alex Ramsbotham & John Kabia)
- The Politics of Economic Regionalism: Sierra Leone in ECOWAS, Aldershot: Ashgate, December 2001.
Selected Chapters from Edited Volumes
- “Higher Education and Peacebuilding in Transition Societies in Africa” in Yazmin Cruz Lopez (ed.) Higher Education in the World: sustainability, understanding & action Palgrave / Macmillan, 2011
- “ECOWAS Cease-fire Monitoring Group (ECOMOG): A New Security Agenda in World Politics,” in Simon Bakut and Sagarika Dutt (eds): Africa Towards the Millennium: An Agenda for Mature Development, London: Palgrave, 2000, pp.177 – 202.
- “Post-Adjustment, Regional Integration and Human Security in Africa,” in Frank Columbus (ed.): Politics and Economics of Africa, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., December 2001.
- “Nigeria” in Darryl Howlett and John Glen (eds): Realism and Culture: A Strategic Debate. Aldershot: Ashgate, 2004
- “Fighting for Survival: The River Politics in West Africa,” in UNESCO: From Potential Conflict to Co-operation Potential, Paris: UNESCO, 2003.
- ‘Formal ECOWAS Integration’ in Integrating Africa: Perspectives on Regional Integration and Development Tokyo: UNU Press, 2003.
- “The Cotonou Agreement, Conflict Diamonds and the Analysis of African Conflict: A Framework for Conflict Prevention,” in Cotonou Agreement 2000: ACP-EU Co-operation, Paris: Karthala, March 2003.
- “Expanding the Frontiers of ECOWAS Integration: The Nexus Between Economic and Security Regionalism in West Africa,” in R. Cline-Cole & E. Robson (eds.) West African Worlds London: Pearson, 2005.
- “Peacekeeping in Africa” in Rachel Utley (ed.) Major Powers and Peacekeeping: Perspectives, Priorities and Challenges of Military Intervention Ashgate, 2006
- “Peace and conflict studies: An African Overview of Basic Concepts” in Shedrack Best (ed.) Introduction to Peace & Conflict Studies in West Africa Ibadan: Spectrum, 2006.
- “Asymmetrical warfare and the regionalisation of domestic civil wars in Africa: Implications for EU interventions” in Josef Schroef, M. Cox & T. Pankratz (eds.) Winning the Asymmetrical War: Political, Social & Military Responses Peter Lang: Berlin, January 2009, pp. 237-260.
Selected Journal Articles
- “Peacekeeping in a bad neighbourhood: ECOWAS in Peace & Security in West Africa’ African Journal of Conflict Resolution Vol. 9, No. 1, 2009
- "Paper Protection" Mechanisms: Child Soldiers and the International Protection of Children in Africa’s Conflict Zones Journal of Modern African Studies Vol. 45, No. 2, Winter 2007
- “Linking Peace, Security and Developmental Regionalism: Regional Economic Integration in Africa” Journal of Peacebuilding and Development Vol. 2, No.2, 2006.
- “Diamonds and the Civil War in Sierra Leone,” The Courier No.187, July-Aug 2001, pp.73-75.
- David J. Francis & Mohamed Kamanda: “Politics of Language and Education Planning in Sierra Leone” African Studies Spring 2001.
- “Torturous Path to Peace: The Lomé Peace Agreement and Post-war Peacebuilding and Reconstruction in Sierra Leone,” Security Dialogue Vol. 31, No. 3, September 2000, pp. 357-373.
- “The Fire Next Door: Regional Diplomacy and Conflict Resolution in West Africa,” Review of African Foreign Policy Vol. 2, No. 2, December 2000.
- “The Economic Community of West African States, the Defence of Democracy in Sierra Leone and Future Prospects” Democratization Vol. 6, No. 4, (Winter) 1999, pp. 139-165.
- “Mercenary Intervention in Sierra Leone: Providing National Security or International Exploitation?” Third World Quarterly Vol. 22, No. 2, (Spring) 1999, pp. 319-338.
- "The Nexus of Peace and Development in Africa,” Office of the Special Co-ordinator for Africa and the Least Developed Countries, OSCAL, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, June 2002, United Nations, New York.
- “EU – ECOWAS Co-operative Security for Conflict Prevention in West Africa,” EU Development and Co-operation Conference, French Foreign Ministry Publication, Paris, June 2000, pp. 39 – 46.
- “Lessons Learned Review of the UNHCR Response Programme for Liberian IDPs: 2003-2006” EPAU-UNHCR Geneva, December 2006.
- “OSSREA: 2000-2006” Stockholm: SIDA Evaluation 08/28 Department for Research Co-operation, March 2008. Served as Principal Consultant
- “The AU and the search for Peace and Reconciliation in Burundi and Comoros” Centre for Humanitarian Dialogue (HD Centre) Publications, Geneva: October 2011. Served as Lead Researcher.
- “The regional impact of the armed conflict in Mali and French military intervention in Mali” Oslo: NOREF, April 2013
Dr. David Harris
- Harris, D, ‘Sierra Leone: A Political History’, Hurst & Co, London, forthcoming, 2013
- Harris, D & Lewis, T, ‘Liberia in 2011: Still Ploughing its own Democratic Furrow?’, Commonwealth and Comparative Politics, 51/1, 2013, pp.1-21
- Harris, D, ‘Civil War and Democracy in West Africa: Conflict Resolution, Elections and Justice in Sierra Leone and Liberia’, IB Tauris, London, 2011
- Harris, D & Vittorini, S, ‘New Topographies of Power? Africa Negotiating an Emerging Multipolar World’ in Dietz T et al (eds.), African Engagements: Africa Negotiating an Emerging Multipolar World, Brill, Leiden, 2011
- Harris, D & Vittorini, S, ‘India Goes Over to the Other Side: Indo-West African Relations in the 21st Century’ (with Simona Vittorini) in Mawdsley E & McCann G (eds.), India in Africa: Changing Geographies in Power, Fahamu Books, Oxford, 2011
- Harris, D & Lappin, R, ‘The Liberian Truth and Reconciliation Commission: Reconciling or Re-dividing Liberia?’, Alternatives, 9/1, 2010, pp.181-91
- Harris, D, ‘Liberia 2005: an Unusual African Post-conflict Election’, Journal of Modern African Studies, 44/3, 2006, pp.375-395
- 2012: ‘Liberia in 2011: still ploughing its own democratic furrow?’, Liberian Studies Association Conference, Cornell University
- 2012: ‘Is Liberia still ploughing its own democratic furrow: new or old patterns of African democracy in the 2011 Liberian elections?’, University of Bologna, with Tereza Lewis
- 2012: ‘Sierra Leone Elections 2012: Between Democracy and Violence’, University of Oxford, with Mats Utas
- 2011: ‘African governmental responses to Indian ventures on the continent: a changing arena of African politics?’, 4th European Conference on African Studies, University of Uppsala, with Simona Vittorini
- 2011: ‘The Sierra Leonean State and State-Society Relations (1960-70)’, Sierra Leone: 50 Years of Independence Conference, University of Cambridge
- 2011: ‘Unfolding Consequences of Liberalism in Sierra Leone and Liberia: liberal justice and state-building at work’, PUC-Rio, Brazil
- 2011: ‘Unfolding Consequences of Liberalism in Sierra Leone and Liberia: liberal justice and state-building at work’, University of Edinburgh
- 2010: ‘India Goes Over to the Other Side: Indo-West African Relations in the 21st Century’, New York State African Studies Association Conference, Binghamton University, SUNY, with Simona Vittorini
- 2010: ‘The International Politics of Social Change: Transforming ‘Small’ Societies’, Politics & Knowledge Conference, University of Nottingham
- 2009: ‘‘Slow, but Steady, like the Elephant’: the Politics of Indian Aid, Trade and Investment in West Africa’, 3rd European Conference on African Studies, University of Leipzig, with Simona Vittorini