The Allan and Nesta Ferguson Trust Grant Project
In February 2005, The Allan and Nesta Ferguson Charitable Trust awarded a grant of £1.75 million to the Africa Centre and University of Bradford to support its work in Africa as well as develop the staffing capacity of the Centre and the Department of Peace Studies.
The award is primarily used to establish a new John Ferguson Chair of African Studies and to implement cutting-edge education, research and capacity building programmes in Africa.
The award covers the following programmatic areas and portfolio of activities:
- Rehabilitation and social reintegration of child soldiers.
- Dealing with the impact of landmines on communities and addressing the problems of small arms proliferation.
- Promoting and strengthening peace education and conflict resolution programmes with partners universities in Africa.
- Post-war reconstruction and democratic governance in post-conflict societies.
- Democratic governance, human rights and peace education capacity building programmes for the military and security agencies in conflict-prone, war-torn and post-conflict societies in Africa.
- Gender and peace studies