A-Z of Research Training
This list provides all of the training opportunities open to doctoral researchers. Although we have tried to bring everything the university offers together in one place, you need to follow these links to find:
- information about what the stand-alone sessions or modules cover - this helps you to make an informed decision as to whether the training will meet your needs
- booking/enrolment forms or procedures particular to each provider.
Please note that not all of these sessions run all of the time.
- If something is listed without an active link, this means it will return but no new dates have been announced by the provider.
- Modules run once a year. Stand-alone training runs more often - some run in the autumn/winter, some in spring - and a few are offered over summer.
- For anything that is discontinued, we remove these altogether to avoid confusion.
- Can't find what you're looking for?
- Many of us offer one-to-one consultations so that you can learn new skills even when training has finished.
- Request training - we are happy to respond to bespoke training requirements if a group identify shared training needs.
These sessions are running as Webinar-style online training and can still be booked
Each training opportunity is mapped to Vitae's national (RDF) subdomains to help with your professional development planning.
|Data management for doctoral projects||X||X||X||X||X|
|EndNote for Research: the Basics (Just run - back in the Autumn)||X||X||X||X||X|
|Ethical Doctoral Research||X||X||X|
|Focus group skills for research||X||X||X|
|Interviewing skills for doctoral research||X||X||X|
|Keeping a Research Journal: Enhancing Rigour in Qual Research||X||X||X||X||X||X|
|Literature reviewing 1: engaging critically with texts||X||X||X||X|
|Literature reviewing 2: making sense of a body of work||X||X||X||X|
|NVivo (see resources & how to book your personalised training session)||X||X|
|The Qualitative Methodologist: the Basics of Qual Research
|Raising Your Profile (Just run - back in the Autumn)||X||X||X||X||X||X||X|
|RDF Planner - a PDP e-portfolio for researchers||X||X||X|
|Reflexivity: Writing it into a Thesis
|SPSS (see resources & how to book your personalised training session)||X||X|
|Statistics in the Social Sciences: An Introduction (Just run - back in the Autumn)||X||X||X||X|
|Thematic Analysis: Doing it Well
|Thriving in your viva||X||X||X||X||X||X|
|Where NOT to Publish (Just run - back in the Autumn)||X||X||X||X||X|
|Where to Publish (Just run - back in the Autumn)||X||X||X||X|
|Writing a Research Proposal for Doctoral Researchers||X||X||X||X||X||X|
|Writing for Doctoral Research: crafting sections, chapters and the thesis||X||X||X|
|Writing: How to Write a Great Research Paper and Get it Accepted by a Scholarly Journal (TBC - booking opens in July)||X||X||X||X|
NVivo is computer-assisted qualitative data analysis software (CAQDAS) that can be used for the analysis of unstructured text, audio, video, and image data, including (but not limited to) interviews, focus groups, surveys, social media, and journal articles. It is produced by QSR International and the University has a license.
- Training in the use of NVivo is offered as a tailored blending learning package.
- This combines face-to-face tutorial, training text and video instruction.
- Contact Dr Delderfield (address above) to book your one-to-one appointment to get started with CAQDAS.
Deciding if NVivo is for you
Useful free webinar from Academic Consulting in New Zealand to help you determine if NVivo is actually of utility for your project.
Follow us on Twitter to find out about:
- Latest sessions and how to book
- #UoBresearchculture events on and off campus
- Changes to training and new events
- Links to external training and resources.