Skip to content

Students: frequently asked questions about the COVID-19 Coronavirus outbreak

Find general answers below under the following links if you're a student at the University of Bradford. We also have information for our staff.

Teaching and placement activities FAQs

Answers relating to teaching and learning at the University of Bradford during the COVID-19 Coronavirus outbreak.

Extenuating Circumstances FAQs

Find answers about the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation and extenuating circumstances.

Exams and Coronavirus FAQs

Frequently asked questions on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation and exams.

Counselling Service FAQs

Learn what support is available from our Counselling Service.

General questions and answers for students

COVID-19 is a new illness that can affect your lungs and airways. It's caused by a virus called Coronavirus. The symptoms are:

  • a cough
  • a high temperature
  • shortness of breath

But these symptoms do not necessarily mean you have the illness.
The symptoms are similar to other illnesses that are much more common, such as cold and flu.
Because it's a new illness, it is not known exactly how coronavirus spreads from person to person.
Similar viruses are spread in cough droplets.
It's very unlikely it can be spread through things like packages or food.

The safety and welfare of our staff is our main priority and the University has processes in place for dealing with Covid-19 (Coronavirus). Where the University becomes aware of any confirmed cases of COVID-19, these matters are handled in accordance with government guidance.

The best way to help yourself stay safe, and prevent the spread of infection, is to pay close attention to following NHS guidance on effective handwashing. Please take a moment to watch the video (provide link) as many people are not necessarily doing this well.

In addition, the University have, in conjunction with the NHS, rolled out a ‘Catch it, Bin it, Kill it’ campaign. Again, please take a moment to watch the animation and follow all advice given.

Taken together these two measures can play a very important role in preventing the spread of the virus and keeping yourself and your communities safe.

If you think you may have the Covid-19 Coronavirus you are required by law to report this.

You must ring the NHS directly using the telephone number 111, explain to the call handler that you think you may have coronavirus and they will provide you with specialist advice.At this point, it is also necessary for you to contact the University.

Following Public Health England advice, unless you have been advised by the NHS that you are at risk and should self-isolate, then you should continue to attend the University as usual

"I have a pre-existing health condition or live with someone who does. I am worried that I may be at a higher risk."

You will be able to seek advice by telephoning NHS 111 as to any additional precautions that may be needed if you or someone you live with has a pre-existing medical condition which you are worried about. If this includes ceasing attending University, then the University will accept this as extenuating circumstances.

The advice we have is that the risk of infection is low so extra protective measures are not necessary, and it is debatable whether masks will be effective in this situation. 

However, it is a recognised custom for some communities to wear face masks to protect themselves and others from the possibility of infection. It is very important that we recognise and respect this custom. We would encourage all members of our community to be inclusive and supportive of what is a personal choice.

In some cultures, wearing a mask is common practice and individuals may choose to wear a mask for their own personal reasons. There is no reason to assume that any individual wearing a mask is infected.

If you do feel unwell and are concerned about your health you should seek medical advice in the first instance by calling NHS 111.

International students wishing to travel home

Find specific answers if you're an international student and wish to travel home.

Yes. The University has suspended all face to face teaching and student support.  The University remains open, but our campus and buildings have closed, and all our activities will be operated remotely (The Green remains open for accommodation).  Therefore, if you wish to return home you may.  Please do check the travel advice provided by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and the equivalent of the country you are travelling to before you set off to ensure that your travel plans are safe.    

If you are studying on a Tier 4 visa we will be able to advise you about the impact on your visa if you decide to return home or suspend your studies. Please email for advice and guidance.   If you leave the country, you must let the Visa Support Team know about this.  

The University has taken a decision to cancel all overseas travel until the end of April 2020. If you had plans to travel for study or other University business we will have contacted you in relation to this.   

Yes – we are delivering all our learning, teaching and student support remotely – your programme team will have been in touch with you to advise on arrangements for your programme.  We recognise that this is a difficult time, and that you may be feeling anxious, or that travel may have interrupted your studies.  You will not be penalised academically for any disrupted study and we have put in place some special arrangements for Extenuating Circumstances (see our  FAQs)   

If you wish to you may suspend your studies, and resume studying at a later date.  If you choose to suspend your studies, you may do this through filling in the form on e:vision.