University scoops Prospects Postgraduate Award
20 November 13
John McIlwaine, Divisional Field Officer collects the Highly Commended award in the Best Teaching Team
The University of Bradford has won a top prize at the Prospects Postgraduate Awards, a national scheme that celebrates the very best in postgraduate education.
More than 150 leaders in the provision of postgraduate study attended the glittering awards ceremony yesterday (19th November 2013) in Manchester. The Awards were presented by sociology professor and broadcaster Laurie Taylor.
The University of Bradford beat off tough competition to win the Highly Commended award in the Best Teaching Team (Science, Technology & Engineering) category for the MSc in Forensic Archaeology and Crime Scene Investigation.
The team, made up of: Bobby Friel, John McIlwaine, Rob Janaway and Dr Andrew Wilson, were nominated by MSc student, Sarah Ashbridge, who will graduate in December.
Sarah explains why she nominated the teaching team: “The FACSI team has supported us all, not only through our education at the University, but also outside of teaching hours to ensure that we are employable. Their dedication does not end at 5pm Friday and for this reason they are truly deserving of recognition.”
John McIlwaine, Divisional Field Officer and part of the highly commended team said: “This a team award where we have been nominated by our students. They clearly appreciate our efforts and tell us regularly via their feedback and comments to external examiners.”
“The commendation for team teaching recognises the efforts of all involved and shows that a panel of prestigious judges agreed with our students, which is very gratifying. Some external verification of our efforts is always a great thing. The fact that no other archaeological or forensic course in the UK made it to the short list, much less the final says something as well.”
The Awards are run by Graduate Prospects, the UK’s leading postgraduate education publisher, which also operates prospects.ac.uk and the official postgraduate course database.
Mike Hill, chief executive of Graduate Prospects said: “The UK is a world leader in postgraduate education and these awards recognise and reward some of the best providers as well as businesses that support them. We have been overwhelmed by the high standard of entries as well as the enthusiasm of those involved. Congratulations go to the University of Bradford which excelled in a hugely competitive category.”
The Prospects Postgraduate Awards launched for the first time this year, they are the only annual event solely dedicated to celebrating best practice and the most exciting campaigns and developments in UK postgraduate education. Categories span eight areas and this year’s winners include:
- Best International Campaign: Winner University of Derby; Highly commended Lancaster University
- Best University Campaign: Winner The University of Nottingham; Highly commended Anglia Ruskin University
- Best Faculty Campaign: Winner University of Southampton, PG Health Sciences; Highly commended BPP Law School
- Best Prospectus: Winner Harper Adams University; Highly commended Manchester Metropolitan University
- Best Agency: Winner PlattForm; Highly commended SMRS Ltd
- Best Website: Winner University of Bedfordshire; Highly commended Manchester Metropolitan University
- Best Business Partner: Winner GlaxoSmithKline; Judges’ Commendation DemoPad
- Best Teaching Team (arts & humanities): Winner MA Cultural Geography (Research) Team at Royal Holloway, University of London; Highly commended Creative Writing Team at Lancaster University;
- Best Teaching Team (business & social sciences): Winner Professional Doctorate in Education (EdD) Team at Staffordshire University; Highly commended MBA Team at Business School, Staffordshire University
- Best Teaching Team (science, technology & engineering): Winner Postgraduate Diploma Physician Associate Studies Team at St George's, University of London; Highly commended MSc Forensic Archaeology and Crime Scene Investigation Team, University of Bradford
The judges included representatives from Universities UK, AGCAS, NUS, UK Council for International Student Affairs, Higher Education Academy, Association of Graduate Recruiters, British Council, Higher Education Data and Information Improvement Programme, Million+, Thirtythree, Higher Education Academy and the UK Council for Graduate Education
For more information visit www.postgraduateawards.co.uk
20 November 13
Further information for Media Enquirers
For further information please contact the University of Bradford Press Office on 01274 23 3089/3084.
Out of office hours call 07879 437996. Alternatively, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or fax on (01274) 236280.