Top Tips for A-Level Results Day
14 August 13
Thursday 15 August will see thousands of students across the UK opening their A-level results. It is an important stage in a young person's life and the advice from the University of Bradford is to keep calm and be prepared for all possible outcomes.
For most, results day will be a time of celebration and certainty as their A-level results will secure their place at their chosen University.
For some, they may have exceeded the requirements for their University offer and could be considering looking for a course at a different University or for others they may not quite get the results they are looking for and may have the opportunity to explore other options through Clearing.
Sue Kershaw, Deputy Vice-Chancellor at the University of Bradford shares her top tips for surviving results day and the clearing process. She said: “A-level results day can be a daunting time. Students need to be prepared; consider our Top Tips:
1. Stay calm, don’t panic and get organised.
2. Draw up a list now of alternative options available to you. That list should include alternative courses and universities.
3. Think about where you want to go and what the University you’re looking at has to offer. Is there an opportunity for a placement year? What are the graduate prospects? What is the student experience like? Will you be using state-of-the-art equipment in your study? Who will you be taught by?
4. Be realistic in choosing courses you want to study. Time is of the essence on results day. Use UCAS and check the course against your grades before calling.
5. On the day do recognise that if you’re not getting offers for a course, due to your grades, you might need to rethink your chosen subject area or University you’re applying to.
6. Visit the Universities you are considering attending where possible and remember to take someone with you for impartial advice.
7. Make sure you’re contactable and can find information easily. Be close to a phone and computer.
8. Do remember to stay calm. A-level results day and Clearing can be a daunting time, especially if you’ve suffered a disappointment with grades. Ringing up universities for a place through Clearing might be the last thing you feel like doing. Remember, thousands of other students in the UK will be in the same position and universities deal with the process of Clearing every year.”
To see more tips and advice for A-level results day visit our Clearing website.
The UoB clearing helpline will be open from 7am on Thursday 15 August. For information on available courses call: 0800 073 4015
14 August 13
Further information for Media Enquirers
For further information please contact the University of Bradford Press Office on 01274 23 3089/3084.
Out of office hours call 07879 437996. Alternatively, e-mail email@example.com or fax on (01274) 236280.