Film wizardry for University of Bradford graduates
15 July 11
As the final Harry Potter film launches today, staff in the Department of Creative Technology at the University of Bradford will be eagerly watching to see the work of yet another graduate on a Harry Potter film.
Chris Ung, who graduated from the BSc in Computer Animation and Special Effects in 2006, worked on Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 and Part 2. His first role on the film was working as a matchmove artist before becoming a digital artist.
Chris is just one of many alumni who have worked on the films over the past 10 years. From Digital Effects, Matchmove, Paint and Roto Artists to Compositors and even Digital Doubles, graduates were part of the production teams that made the films come to life.
The advanced techniques studied and applied on the courses within the School of Computing, Informatics and Media ensure that students graduate from the University with a high standard of experience and knowledge ready for industry jobs.
Thanks to the vision of the books’ author and the production companies, these films have been made using around 99% British production teams and many graduates from the University’s Department of Creative Technology have enjoyed being part of these teams.
Mark Goodliff, Head of the Department of Creative Technology, is proud of the graduate’s achievements. He said: “The Harry Potter movies have spearheaded a tremendous growth in the UK’s Visual Effects industry, and I am extremely proud of our graduates’ involvement throughout the whole of the series of films. It’s a great feeling to sit through the credits and see a name that you recognise because they studied at Bradford.”
“With our degree ceremonies taking place at the University next week we’re hoping that our new graduates will follow in similar footsteps of success.”
University of Bradford graduates working on the Harry Potter films include:
- Pete Oldroyd (graduated 1996)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Compositor: Cinesite) 2001
- Jason Hue (graduated in 2005)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Matchmover: Double Negative) 2007
- Peng Ke (graduated 2004)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Visual effects) 2007
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Digital double, compositor and visual effects: Moving Picture Company) 2009
- Keir Londgen (graduated in 2005)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (matchmove artist) 2009
- Tom Whittington (graduated in 2005)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (paint and roto artist) 2009
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (paint & roto artist: Framestore)
- Marc Rice (graduated in 2007)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (paint and roto artist) 2010
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (paint & rotoscoping supervisor) 2011
- Steven Molyneaux (graduated in 2004)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (digital artist: Moving Picture Company) 2010
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (digital artist) 2011
15 July 11
Further information for Media Enquirers
For further information please contact the University of Bradford Press Office on 01274 23 3089/3084.
Out of office hours call 07879 437996. Alternatively, e-mail email@example.com or fax on (01274) 236280.