Skip to content
Open menu Close menu

<< Back

Students on the run for charity

31 March 10


An exciting and potentially global event will begin later this week at the University of Bradford Students' Union when students will take part in 'Jailbreak' and attempt to get as far away from Bradford in the name of charity.

From 6pm on Friday 26 March groups of university students will begin to beg and blag their way out of Bradford but with an added twist of ensuring that their trip is as environmentally friendly as possible as they bike, bus or barge across the country and the world.

'Jailbreak' is a challenge where competitors have to get away from a certain location without paying anything. In this competition, each team of three or more students will receive points for each mile they clock up getting away from Bradford. The amount of points they get depends on how 'green' their method of transport is. For instance, jumping on a bus would be 4 points per mile; a train 5 and a plane only 0.1 for every mile travelled.

The groups of students will have 24 hours to get as far away as possible. During this time they will keep in contact with the Students' Union and the UBU radio station RamAir who will be charting their progress over the airwaves on 1350AM and online at www.ramair.co.uk.

Each team will also be raising sponsorship for charity, with 60% of money raised going to the Haiti fund and the other 40% to a charity of the team's choice.

The winning student team will be the one that gets the most points during their travels.

The Students' Union Ethics, Environment & Welfare Officer, Aramide Daramola said:  "The great thing about this years Jailbreak is that we are raising money for charity and also raising awareness about the Environment. The more eco-friendly the students are in their travel, the more points they are awarded.

┬┐The students are looking forward to it, and we wish them on the travels exploring the world!"

Full reports on the Jailbreak will be available after the event at www.ubuonline.co.uk and in the April edition of the SU newspaper The Bradford Student.

31 March 10

<< Back


Further information for Media Enquirers

For further information please contact the University of Bradford Press Office on 01274 23 3089/3084.

Out of office hours call 07879 437996. Alternatively, e-mail press@bradford.ac.uk or fax on (01274) 236280.