Dr Martin David Owens
|Position||Lecturer in International Business|
|Location||Room 2.17 Cartwright Building|
|Department||School of Management|
|Feedback Hours||Tuesday 14:30-16:30|
Research Interests (key words only)
International alliances, inter-organizational control, institutional theory
I supervise graduate students at DPhil level on topics relating to inter-organisational collaboration/alliances within an international context.
Teaching and Supervisory Responsibilities
I teach a range of undergraduate and post-graduate modules. These include introductory modules such as Principles of International Business and Principles of Management, and more advanced modules such as International Business Strategy and Multinationals in Emerging markets. I teach international business modules at Masters level, such as International Business in Emerging Economies and International Business Strategy.
Programme director for the BSc International Business and Management course.
I am a Lecturer in International Business at the University of Bradford. My main research interests are in the post-formation management and governance of domestic and international alliances.
- Business Studies (BA Hons, 1994-1998), University of Ulster
- Marketing (MSc, 1998-1999), University of Ulster
- PhD from the University of Ulster (2002-2006)
My research interests lie in the area of inter-organizational relationships between private sector organisations. I am particularly interested in the post-formation management and governing processes and outcomes of strategic alliances. I have just completed a study that examines the consequences the shared management structure for the management of an IJV. Alongside this I continue to be interested in institutional theory, market entry modes and emerging markets.
I am currently working on a set of empirical studies examining the role of formal control within alliances.
- Academy of International Business
- British Academy of Management
- Member of the Bradford Centre of International Business
- Owens, M., Palmer, M., and Zueva-Owens, A., (2013) 'Institutional forces on adoption of international joint ventures: Empirical evidence from British retail multinationals', International Business Review.
- Owens, M, Zueva-Owens, A and Palmer, M., (2012) 'Partner identification and selection of joint venture partners in international retailing', The Services Industries Journal, 32 (3-4) pp 383-410.
- Owens, M., (2010) 'Equity ownership and control of international joint ventures in the retail sector', International Review of Retail, Distribution and Consumer Research, 20 (5) pp 559-581.
- Palmer, M.J. Owens, M. and De Kervenoael, (2010) 'Paths of the Least Resistance: Understanding How Motives Form in International Retail Joint Venturing', The Service Industries Journal,, 30 (6) pp 965-989.
- Palmer, M.J. O’Kane, P and Owens, M., (2009) 'Betwixt spaces: student accounts of turning point experiences in the first year transition', Studies of Higher Education, 34 (1) pp 37-54.
- Owens, M. and Quinn, B., (2007) 'Problems encountered in international retail joint ventures: UK case evidence', International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management, 35 (10) pp 758-780.
- Palmer M. and Owens M., (2006) 'New Directions for International Joint Venture Research', International Review of Retail, Distribution and Consumer Research, 16 (2) pp 159-179.
- Palmer M. Owens M. and Sparks L., (2006) 'Interdisciplinary (Retail) Research: The Business of Geography and the Geography of Business', Environment and Planning A, 10 pp 1775-1783.