Dr Mei-Na Liao
|Position||Senior Lecturer in Marketing|
|Department||School of Management|
|Feedback Hours||Thursday 14:00-16:00 (term time)|
|Telephone||+44 (0)1274 234341|
Research Interests (key words only)
Customer Engagement, Services encounter, Brand Identification, Sustainable Business Education
Nisrein Shabsogh, successfully defended her PhD viva, PhD thesis title: Impact of email message referral as a form of e-WOM on consumer buying decisions
Joseph Maidugu, on progress, PhD thesis title: The Influence of Service Culture on Customer Service Quality in an Emerging Market: An Analysis of Foreign Vs Local Banks in Nigeria.
Teaching and Supervisory Responsibilities
I developed and taught Services Marketing, Not-For-Profit, Social Marketing and Marketing Strategy in Undergraduate, Postgraduate, MBA and Executive Education.
- Director of Studies MSc Programmes
- Director of International Master's Summer School
Mei-Na holds a BSc (Honours) degree in hospitality management, an MBA in marketing and a PhD in Management. She is a Senior Lecturer in Marketing and the Director of Studies for MSc programmes. She is also the Director for the International Master’s Summer School. She has been awarded Senior Fellowship from the UK Higher Education Academy. She won the Emerging Scholar award at the Association for Research on Non-Profit Organizations and Voluntary Action Conference, 2000, in New Orleans, USA. She is also the winner of the Best Social Marketing Paper Award at the European Marketing Academy Conference 2008. Mei-Na specialises in customer engagement management in services sector, non-profit and higher education sector. She completed knowledge transfer projects for NHS and Emerald Publishing. She has published in a number of international research journals, namely, the Journal of Nonprofit and Public Sector Marketing, Journal of General Management, Corporate Communication: An International Journal and International Journal of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing. She taught at the Nottingham University School of Management before joining Bradford. She also taught in the MBA International Week series of the EADA International Business School in Barcelona, Spain and MSc Marketing programme in the TiasNimbas, Utrecht, Holland. Prior to starting her academic career, Mei-Na worked as an executive producer for a television company.
- 1998 - 2005 Ph.D. University of Exeter, UK
- 1997 - 1998 MBA in Marketing Management, University of Exeter, UK
- 1993 - 1997 BSc (Hons) Hospitality Management, University of Plymouth, UK
- 1984 - 1988 Dip. Broadcasting & Television, World University of Journalism, Taiwan
- 2013 - present Senior lecturer in Marketing, University of Bradford School of Management
- 2003 - 2013 Lecturer in Marketing, University of Bradford School of Management.
- 2000 - 2003 Teaching fellow in Marketing, Nottingham University Business School
- 1997 - 2000 Teaching Assistantship at the University of Exeter,
- 1994 - 1995 Training placement, Forte Grand Imperial Hotel, Torquay, UK
- 1988 - 1990 TV executive producer, NIC Ltd., Taipei, Taiwan
- Higher Education Academy Senior Fellow
- Academic referee for SSHRC Insight Grant, the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council in Canada- Higher Education marketing research (2013)
- Member of organizing board, the Annual Colloquium: Academy of Marketing’s Brand and Corporate Reputation SIG 2006-2009
- Member of the Academy of Marketing Association (AMA) US 2005-2010
- Member of reviewer panel, the International Journal of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing and Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly (2002-present)
- Member of reviewer panel for the not-for-profit marketing and public services marketing tracks, the Academy of Marketing (AoM) conference, UK
- Member of reviewer panel for the not-for-profit marketing and public services marketing tracks, European Academic of Marketing Conference (EMARC)
- National Academic referee for ESRC research grants scheme- Nonprofit and Public services research
- Member of National Social Marketing Centre
- Registered Coach and Mentor at Northern Leadership Academy
- Track chair of not-for-profit marketing for the Academy of Marketing conference 2002, Nottingham, UK.
- External Examiner, MBA Marketing, Middlesex University, (2009-2014)
My research expertise is in consumer engagement with services organizations, in particular, not-for profit, health care and higher education organizations. I have taken an applied approach towards my research and secured substantial funding from the industry and created impact on management practice through knowledge transfer.
- Investigating the role of learning orientation in the use of the Internet by older adults: An Extension of the UTAUT model, collaboration with Dr Isabel Macedo in Minho University, Portugal.
- Transformational learning effect on sustainable education
- Consumer's engagement on E-WoM and service experience
Dr Isabel Macedo and Dr Jose Carors Pinho in the Minho University Portugal
- Member of the European Academy of Marketing
- A registered coach and mentor at the Northern Leadership Academy
Refereed journal articles
Balmer, J.M.T., Liao, M and Wang W. (2010) ‘Corporate Brand Identification and Corporate Brand Management: How Top Business Schools Do It’, Journal of General Management, Vol.35, No.4, (Summer), pp.77-102. (cited in 10 articles, Google Scholar, 3rd September 2014).
Balmer, J.M.T., Liao, M and Wang W., (2010) 'Corporate Brand Identification and Corporate Brand Management: How Top Business Schools Do It', Journal of General Management, 35 (4) pp 77-102, Summer
Balmer, M. T. and M. Liao, (2007) 'Student corporate brand identification: an exploratory case study', Corporate Communications: An International Journal, 12 (4) pp 356-375
Sargeant, A., Liao, M. and Foreman, S., (2002) 'Operationalising The Marketing Concept In The Nonprofit Sector', Nonprofit and Public Sector Marketing, 10 (2) pp 41-65
Liao, M., Foreman, S. and Sargeant, A., (2001) 'Market versus Societal Orientation in the Nonprofit Context',International Journal of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing, 6 (3) pp 254-269
Sargeant, A. and Liao, M., (2000) 'Operationalising The Marketing Concept: Just What Can Be Achieved When You Get It Right?', The CASE International Journal of Educational Advancement, 1 (1) pp 24-39
Liao, M., (1999) 'Managing Reputation and Dealing with Public Scrutiny: Issues for Voluntary Sector Organisations', International Journal of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing, 4 (4) pp 378-381
Liao, M (2015) The exchange models, The Wiley Encyclopedia of Management, Volume 9 Marketing, published online: 21 January 2015, DOI: 10.1002/9781118785317.weom090101
Liao, M (2015) Emotional contagion, The Wiley Encyclopedia of Management, Volume 9 Marketing, published online: 21 January 2015, DOI: 10.1002/9781118785317.weom090091
Sargeant, A., Liao, M. and Foreman, S., (2008) 'Operationalising The Marketing Concept In The Nonprofit Sector', in Parsons, L., Maclaran, P. and Tadajewski, M., Nonprofit Marketing, Volume 1, Sage Library in Marketing
Liao, M, (2007) 'Applying Marketing Concept in Higher Education - a stakeholder approach', in Edited by Sargeant, A. and Wymer, W., The Routledge Companion to Nonprofit Marketing, Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, London and New York, ISBN 978-0-415-41727-3
Liao, M. and Fukukawa. K. (2016) The Dynamics of Sustainable Collaboration – The International Master’s Summer School for Sustainability in Business, University of Bradford, United Nations PRME conference in UK and Ireland Reginal Chapter, 20th-21st June 2016, Nottingham UK.
Macedo Isabel Maria, José Carlos Pinho and Mei-Na Liao (2015) Investigating the influence of learning orientation on the acceptance and use of new information technologies among older adults, 8th Annual EuroMed Conference proceeding. 16-18 September, Verona Italy. EuroMed Press, ISBN (978-9963-711-16-1)
Macedo Isabel Maria, José Carlos Pinho and Mei-Na Liao (2013) Investigating the impact of internet usage and acceptance on active aging among older adults, in Vrontis D., Weber Y. and Tsoukatos E. (ED) Confronting contemporary business challenges through management innovation, 6th Annual EuroMed Conference proceeding. 23rd-24th September 2013, Estoril, Cascais, Portugal. EuroMed Academy of Business. EuroMed Press, ISBN (978-9963-711-16-1)
Macedo I Pino, J and Liao M. (2013) The role of internet in the promotion of active aging, International Association on Public and Nonprofit Marketing (IAPNM) Conference, Universidad De Las Palmas De Gran Canaria, 13-14th June
Liao, M, Schwas, P. and Macedo, I (2013) An evaluation of effectiveness of direct postal mailing versus electronic mailing: Evidence from a field experiment in the French wine industry, presented in the European Academy of Marketing Annual Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, 4th -7th June.
Macedo I., Pino, J. and Liao M. (2013) The role of the Internet in Active Ageing: An extension of the technology acceptance model, presented in the European Academy of Marketing Annual Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, 4th-7th June.
M. Liao and R. Choorithody, (2010) 'Patients Experience Management: Frontline Staff Perspective', Invited to present in the International Forum for Quality and Performance Management in Health Care Sector, University of Minho, Portugal
Macedo I., Pino, R. and Liao M., (2010) 'Quality management and marketing orientation affecting organizational performance in NHS', Accepted for presenting in the EuroMed Annual Conference, 4-5 November
Mohamad, M., M. Liao and N.A. B. Ali, (2008) 'Modeling the Relationship between Emotional Intelligent and Societal Orientation in the Public Health Care Sector', 37th EMAC Annual Conference, Brighton, September
Balmer, J.M.T., Liao, M and Wang W., (2007) 'Management Cognition of Corporate Brand Management of Business Schools and the Link with Student Identification: A tale of Two Cities and Eight Business Schools',3rd Annual Colloquium: Academy of Marketing's Brand and Corporate Reputation SIG, Brunel University Business School, 11-13 September
Balmer, J. M.T. and Liao, M., (2006) 'Issues of Identification: Corporate Brand/Identity Affinity among Overseas-based Students of Bradford University', An Exploratory Case-Study, 2nd Annual Colloquium: Academy of Marketing's Brand and Corporate Reputation SIG, University of Manchester Business School, 7-8 September
Liao, M., (2000) 'Applying The Marketing Concept in 21st Century Nonprofit Organisations - Societal Versus Market Orientation', ARNOVA 29th Annual conference, New Orleans, USA, 16-18 November 2000
Sargeant, A. and Liao, M., (1999) 'Implementing The Marketing Concept in Nonprofit Organizations - The Case For A Societal Orientation', The Academy of Marketing Conference, University of Stirling, July 1999
Liao, M., (1999) 'Marketing In The Voluntary Sector - The Case For A Societal Orientation', 1999 ICFM National Fundraisers' Convention, Birmingham Metropole
Liao, M., (1998) 'Internal Marketing in Higher Education Institutions: An Analysis of Customer - Orientation Amongst Academics And Support Staff', The Academy of Marketing Annual Conference, University of Sheffield
Balmer, J.M.T., Liao, M and Wang W., (2006) 'Comprehending Corporate Brand Management Student Interface in British Business School: A tale of Two Cities', University of Bradford School of Management Working Paper Series, No 06/46
Balmer, J. M.T. and Liao, M., (2006) 'Shifting Loyalties and Identification to Corporate Brand: An exploratory Case-Study of Students Identification in Higher Education', University of Bradford School of Management Working Paper Series, No 06/35
Sargeant, A., Foreman, S. and Liao, M., (1999) 'Market and Societal Orientation in the Nonprofit Sector', Henley Management College Working Paper
- Health care sector: I successfully obtained £30,000 of funding from the NHS Bradford and Airedale Primary Care trust on a Patient Experience Management project resulting in a series of Patient Experience Management Toolkits which were published and distributed to all local providers. I received very positive feedback from the funding body who wish to engage in future collaborative projects. The project generated three reports for local health care providers and three knowledge transfer workshops to local health care providers. Three conference papers were presented (see publication below). I was nominated for the Vice Chanceller’s Knowledge Transfer excellent Award in 2011.
- In collaboration with Dr Isabel Macedos, in the University of Minho, Portugal, 2008-2011 we successfully obtained 79,000 Euro funding from Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (Portugal). The results of the findings were presented to hospital managers in Portugal and disseminated at four international conferences. Established the International Forum for Healthcare Management with Dr Macedos, in the University of Minho, in Braga, Portugal. This provided a platform for knowledge exchange between practitioners from hospitals in three difference European countries, France, Portugal and UK.
- Emerald Publishing Ltd. (2010) I secured a £26,000 knowledge transfer project which involved research into enhancing customer relationship through use of ‘big data’. The successful project outcome led to the employment of a research associate in a KTP project and subsequent development of Emerald corporate MBA programme at the School.
- I was the academic advisor for ListAssist project at Emerald, which generated publicity for the University on the Emerald website and the Telegraph and Argus.
- My knowledge in higher education, provided knowledge in managing student experience in multiple aspects of delivery. My research on student identification was published in two journal papers (i.e Journal of General Management, Corporate Communications: An International Journal ). This research also informed how I delivered my role as the Director of Studies in Singapore (MDIS), it provided me with insights into building closer relationships with our collaborative partners to enhance students identity strength with University brand.
- Deputy chair for board of Governors Miriam Lord Primary School Bradford
- Member of National Governors Association (2015-Present)
- Member of NHS Bradford and Airedale Hospitals (2010-present)