Information for visitors
New external members can only be registered during our staffed hours. Please check our opening hours before travelling.
SCONUL Access is a reciprocal scheme which allows many university library members to borrow or use books at other libraries which belong to the scheme. The scheme covers many university libraries in the UK and Ireland.
Please apply for membership using the application form on the SCONUL Access web page.
- Your application needs to be approved by your own institution's library.
- Do be patient as your library may have a high number of applications to process.
- Please do not visit the J. B. Priestley Library until you have the membership email from SCONUL.
Note: some institutions that previously participated in the scheme are not participating at this time. Check with your home library if you do not see it listed.
Alumni of the University are automatically entitled to reference and study use of the library after leaving the University.
Bradford College students
Students from Bradford College may not use the library unless prior permission has been obtained by the College Director of Learning Resources, on their behalf. Where such permission has been granted the letter of authority must be produced.
Members of the public and community researchers
Members of the public may have limited access to the university library collections as follows:
- Special Collections has over 100 collections of archives and rare books on University history, Bradford, the Yorkshire Dales, peace, archaeology and much more.
- The Commonweal Collection is an independent specialist library concerned with issues relating to non-violent social change.
- University of Bradford theses.
- Community research groups may wish to organise an induction session for group members once the library is able to accommodate external visitors again. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Members of the public may consult specific books or journals to which there is no other reasonable local access. Applications should be made in advance to the Welcome Desk in order that the availability of the items can be verified.
This notice applies to members of the University of Bradford library who are not registered students or members of staff of the University.
Data collected includes
- email address;
- UB number (Bradford graduates only);
- name of home institution, membership type and home institution card number (SCONUL Access members only);
- name of home institution and card number (HE and FE members outside the SCONUL Access scheme);
- name of home institution (school visitors);
- photograph and
- usage data, including entries made and items borrowed.
The data given will be used for the purpose of giving access to services provided by the University of Bradford library.
Statistics collected on usage are gathered anonymously.
Data relating to most of our users will not be used for marketing purposes. The exceptions are Commonweal and Special Collections users who may receive occasional messages relating to these collections.
Data will be deleted no later than the September following expiry of the account, unless there are unpaid fines or one or more books on the account. In this case, data will be retained for the purpose of debt recovery.
Data will be shared with a third party only for purposes of debt recovery, and, in the case of student members, with the student’s home institution in the event of misconduct.
Users can withdraw consent at any time by emailing email@example.com. Access to the library will cease as soon as the data we hold is deleted.
JB Priestley Library
University of Bradford
Tel. 01274 233301
To contact the University’s Data Protection Officer, please call 01274 233021 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues.