Borrowing and returning items
COVID-19 changes to service
The Library is operating a Click and Collect service. Please view our COVID-19 new service information page for full details.
It is not possible to browse the book shelves at this time.
There are 3 ways to return a book
- You can use our book return machine when the library is open. Please view our opening hours page for the current times.
- You can use the manual book drop at any time. To find it, go along the external walkway to the left of the entrance heading towards Student Central. It's in the wall of the library, close to the entrance.
- You can use our Freepost service. Please view our COVID-19 new service information page for more details.
We have produced a video to demonstrate the use of the book return machine and the manual book drop.
If we do not have the item in stock, you can suggest that it be purchased. Please complete our online form to suggest a new book for purchase. Alternatively you may join one of our Library access schemes.
- Undergraduate Students: 12 items
- Postgraduate Students: 18 items
- Non-Academic Staff: 12 items
- Academic Staff: 18 items
Note: All one week and four week loan items will be renewed automatically on the due date if possible. Three day loans will need to be renewed manually.
Check your loans and return dates online
Your loans and their return dates are shown in your My Library account. Please return any items by the due date if you receive notification that items have not been automatically renewed.
Note: Loan periods vary, and you cannot borrow anything if you have a fine of £5 or more.
Use the self-issue machines to borrow library materials.
We changed to a new issue system in September 2019. Not all of our books may yet be issued with the new machines.
- If your book is not recognised by the issue machine, ask a member of staff or a Student Learning Champion to help. It should be good to go in just a few moments.
Use the self-return machine in the wall to the left of the Welcome Desk outside the JB Priestley Library.
Please note: If your book was issued using the old issuing system, you will see the message "unknown item" when it is placed in the returns machine. It will get "checked in" by a member of staff a little later so won't come off your record instantly. Do check your library account and let us know if there are any problems.
There is also a manual book drop outside the library. To find it, go along the external walkway to the left of the entrance heading towards Student Central. It's in the wall of the library, just a short distance from the library entrance.
Please note: Staff empty the external book drop at 9am on weekday mornings and books will remain issued until this process is complete. Use the machine inside the building if you would like the books to be removed from your account immediately.