Borrowing and returning items
COVID-19 changes to service
The Library is operating a Click and Collect service. Please view our COVID-19 new service information page for full details.
It is not possible to browse the book shelves at this time.
There are 3 ways to return a book
- You can use our book return machine when the library is open. Please view our opening hours page for the current times.
- You can use the manual book drop at any time. To find it, go along the external walkway to the left of the entrance heading towards Student Central. It's in the wall of the library, close to the entrance.
- You can use our Freepost service. Please view our COVID-19 new service information page for more details.
We have produced a video to demonstrate the use of the book return machine and the manual book drop.
As well as books the library has other equipment you can borrow, including laptops and skeletons.
Search the Library catalogue. This will tell you if we have the book you’re looking for and in what format.
- eBooks - many of our books are available electronically as eBooks and can be accessed directly from a link in the catalogue.
- Paper copies - the catalogue will tell you which class number to find it at. If all the copies are already on loan you can add a reservation.
- Not on the catalogue – You can fill in the online request an item for purchase form and we will consider buying a copy. Alternatively, you may want to use one of our library access schemes to visit another library that may have a copy.
How many books you can borrow
- Undergraduate Students: 12
- Postgraduate Students: 18
- Non-Academic Staff: 12
- Academic Staff: 18
Issuing the books to your library record
Use the self-issue machines on Floor 0.
Note: We updated to a new system in September 2019. Unfortunately, there are a few books which are not recognised by the new machines. If this happens, please see a member of library staff who will be able to help you.
Return dates and renewals
My Library record is where you will find a record of all the books you have on loan and when they are due back. You will need your UB number and Library PIN to log in.
Books are either 1 week or 4 week loans. We do have some 3 day loans too.
The library system will attempt to automatically renew your books as they come up to their return date. However, renewals are not always possible, so it is important that you look out for any email notifications about your books. You may need to try and renew your books manually.
There are two ways to return your books:
- Self-return machine - this is in the wall to the left of the Welcome Desk outside the library.
Note: if, when you return your book, you get an 'unknown item' message it is because the book was issued before we changed systems. The book will not come off your record immediately as it needs to be returned manually by a member of library staff.
- Manual book drop - this is on the external wall of the library. You can find it by walking along the external walkway to the left of the entrance to the building, heading towards Student Central.
Note: the book will not come off your record immediately as staff only collect books returned this way at 09:00 every week day morning to be processed.