Special Collections on the History of the University of Bradford
Special Collections manages the heritage and memory of the University. Our story goes back to the 19th century, when Bradford needed technical education to make its wool and dyeing industries more competitive. Bradford Technical College was founded in 1882. After many years of campaigning for University status, in 1957 the higher education side became a College of Advanced Technology (Bradford Institute of Technology) while the further education side became what is now Bradford College. The University of Bradford received its Charter on 18 October 1966.
Find out more in our 100 Objects exhibition.
Archive of the Quaker Peace Studies Trust, who played key role in creation and life of Peace Studies department.
Papers of academics and other University people, including:
- Revis Barber and Dennis Bellamy, governors who were instrumental in creation of University.
- Adam Curle, first Professor of Peace Studies, a poet and mediator.
- Ted Edwards, our first Vice-Chancellor, with particular interest in "inter-disciplinarity", students' rights and peace campaigns.
- John Laredo, social scientist and anti-apartheid campaigner.
- Betty Lockwood (Baroness Lockwood), Chancellor 1997-2005, Labour activist with interest in equality and education.
- Fred Singleton, who helped develop Yugoslav studies in the UK and also researched Yorkshire and Finland.
- Harold Wilson, our first Chancellor.