Special Collections Assistant
Martin's role is to provide clerical and technical support to the Special Collections service. This includes among a great many other activities:
- Providing services to Special Collections users in the Reading Room and remotely.
- Photocopying and digital photography for enquirers and other Special Collections purposes.
- Day to day preservation management including environmental monitoring, pest management, phase boxing, stock cleaning and basic repairs.
- Member of Library Disaster Control Team, with particular role in book salvage training and supervision and maintaining the "disaster boxes".
- Assisting with metadata creation for rare books and archives.
Email: email@example.com (use firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to contact the service as a whole).
Telephone: 01274 236027. If no answer, try 01274 235256, which has voicemail.
Martin is also an independent scholar, with current interests in a number of topics including philosopher Eric Gutkind (1877-1965) and early twentieth-century counterculture. Amongst his publications are an edition of the memoirs of the feminist Mary Robinson ('Perdita': Peter Owen, 1994), a study of a notorious crime passionnel ('Love and Madness: the Murder of Martha Ray': William Morrow, 2004) and recent articles on universities, anti-psychiatry and the writer Paul Goodman (1911-1972).