- Overview statistical sources
- Local statistics
- UK Statistics
- European Statistics
- World Statistics
Overview Statistical Sources
There are a number of general statistical sources which can be a good starting point to find data. Quandl and UKDS.Stat are good sources, aggregating data from a variety of other sources (including UN, World Bank, Eurostat, OECD etc).
- Bradford Observatory - Bradford statistics social and official statistics covering housing, crime, population, economy etc.
- West Yorkshire Observatory - West Yorkshire local social and official statistics covering housing, crime, population, economy etc.
Office for National Statistics - The site for the UK's official statistics, it includes information on the economy, population, and society.
Census - Survey of the British population, covering employment, ethnicity, family, health, and housing. Datasets from 1971-2011 available from UK Data Service.
Regional Trends - Annual release until 2011 providing demographic, social, industrial and economic statistics for the regions. There are profiles of each region, including Yorkshire and the Humber. Or access the dataset.
Social Trends - A collection of social and economic data up until 2012 from various government departments and organisations designed to provide an illustration of current British society and chart its development. Or access the dataset
Nomisweb - Labour market statistics by geographical region from ward to administrative region.
UK Data Service - large collection of datasets including UK Census data, OECD data etc. You need to register to use it. As well as lots of UK data, there are also World Bank and OECD data sources available from here. Including a wide range of video tutorials and other help materials
- Budget - Most recent budget and archive of earlier budgets up to 2010, from 2010-2012 and 2013, outlining the Government's economic and financial strategy and reviewing the performance and prospects of the economy.
- U.K. National Accounts (The Blue Book) - The principal publication for national accounts statistics providing detailed estimates of national product, income and expenditure for the U.K.
- U.K. Balance of Payments (The Pink Book) - The basic reference book for balance of payments statistics, with information on visible trade, invisibles, investment and other capital transactions.
- Crime and Justice statistics from Gov.uk.
- Criminal Statistics England and Wales - These statistics series relate to criminal offences recorded by the 43 police forces in England and Wales and to offenders dealt with by formal police cautions or criminal court proceedings in these police force areas.
- The Ministry of Justice statistical publications.
- Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings (ASHE) - An annual sample survey of the earnings of employees in Britain. Offers analyses by age, collective agreement, industry, occupation, and region.
- Labour Force Survey - Survey of employment running since 1973. Also carried out throughout Europe and available from Eurostat.
- Digest of United Kingdom Energy Statistics - Contains tables, commentary, and charts of U.K. energy production and consumption. There are sections dealing with the productions and consumption of individual fuels, oil and gas reserves, fuel prices, and foreign trade in fuels.
- Family Spending - Random samples of private households in the UK. Shows, in detail, income and expenditure by type of household, some regional analyses are also included.
- General Lifestyle survey - (from 1971-2007 known as General Household Survey) - A continuous survey which ceased in 2012 based on a sample of those resident in private households in Great Britain. Includes questions on population and fertility, housing, health, employment and education. Also available on ESDS
- Library web page for health statistics
- Health and Social Care Information Centre - Contains statistics on population, fertility, mortality, morbidity, hospitals, psychiatric health services, community health services, personal social services, medical workforce, finance, HIV/AIDS, drugs, smoking, and alcohol.
- Health Survey for England - Information on the prevalence of specific health conditions from HSCIC.
- Information Centre for Health & Social Care / Social care statistics - England’s central, authoritative source of health and social care information. The section on social care statistics covers areas such as carer support, older adults, learning disability, children’s services etc.
Safelives (previously known as CAADA) - key statistics on the prevalence of domestic abuse.
- Data.gov / Social care - Searchable website of UK government data. The section on social care covers areas such as adoption, adult assessment, carers, children in care, outcome indicators etc.
- NSPCC statistics A compilation of government, official, research and NSPCC statistics on child protection, safeguarding and child abuse.
Transport Statistics - Annual release providing details on transport usage.
- Eurobarometer - Monitors the evolution of public opinion on key topics concerning European citizenship, including: culture, defence, enlargement, environment, the Euro, health, and social situation.
- Eurostat - The EU Statistical Office. It is possible to view structural, long, and short term indicators free of charge as well as the online version of Statistics in Focus which provides information on key statistical surveys.
- UN Economic Commission for Europe - Statistical datasets including interesting data on economy, gender and
- Directorate General for Economic and Financial Affairs, Publications - Offers access to reports, studies and analyses. The publications are grouped into four series by topic: European Economy, Economic Papers, Enlargement Papers, and Occasional Papers.
- European Industrial Relations Observatory on-line (EIRO) - Collects, analyses, and publishes information on major developments in European industrial relations. Use the comparative information link to view annual reviews, comparative studies, and EIRO reports.
- World Bank databank - Key data from the world bank covering World Development Indicators and Global Development Finance. Data can be searched, tables automatically generated or reports exported in excel format.
- UN databases - List of UN databases, many bibliographic, but includes statistical databases.
- CIA World Factbook -Find facts and figures on the geography, people, government, economy, communications, transportation, military, and transnational issues of countries.
- United Nations List of Official Statistical organisations - List of national, UN, intergovernmental and non-governmental statistics organisations.
- International Monetary Fund, Staff Country Reports -Detailed information by country. There are also links to the country's bank and finance websites. The IMF also has a huge range of data and statistics which can be searched and exported to excel.
- UN Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) -Amongst other data offers a useful list of links to the official government and regional statistical agencies of countries.
- Genderstats -A database of gender statistics and indicators available by country in three categories: Summary Gender Profile, Thematic Data, and Gender Monitoring. Data is also available by region for Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa.
- UN Womenwatch - UN gender statistics. Collates several statistical sources from World Bank, UN FAO etc.