Funding for Gold Open Access publishing
Money is already allocated for Open Access publishing in some UKRI grants. In these cases money provided in the grant should be used.
Those UKRI grants that do not include OA funding may be covered by the UKRI block grant allocated to each university to spend on OA publishing. In the process of submitting a paper for OA publishing you may apply to the Bradford block grant to cover the related Article Processing Charge. It is important that you fill in the form FIRST before anything else, to ensure there are funds remaining in our block grant, and that your paper is actually eligible for funding. A provisional purchase order will subsequently be raised, and the Bradford author can then send this PO number to the publisher BEFORE requesting Open Access for the paper. Any invoices received from publishers need to be sent DIRECTLY to the Finance Department (the application form and related instructions provide the contact email).
The University also has arrangements in place with selected publishers to allow for discounted or waived APCs. Authors need to contact the library to enquire about the availability of any applicable discounts. Agreements are in place with the following journal publishers for our researches to publish Gold OA without additional payments:
- Brill - Research articles published in any Brill title.
- Cambridge University Press (majority of titles included in Gold OA charge waiver). Applies to research and review articles; and Rapid Communications (RRR). Brief report and case report article types, which are often linked to research articles, are also included.
- Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Selected Springer journal titles.
- SAGE (all hybrid titles included) NB! Articles published as part of commercially sponsored supplements, errata (which remain free to all to view), book reviews, editorials, published abstracts, call for papers, news items or similar are excluded from this service.
- Taylor & Francis titles.
- Wiley - Research and Review articles only. APC waiver may be applied to UKRI/COAF/Wellcome funding receiving papers later in 2021. Currently, funding by these bodies is not required to qualify. Check this page periodically for updates.
NB! funds from the block grant are only available if the research was UKRI funded and this is acknowledged in the research publication; if funds are not already allocated in the research grant; and if there are funds remaining in the fund.