Funding for Gold Open Access publishing
UKRI block grant
Publication of UKRI funded research may be covered by the UKRI block grant allocated to each university to spend on OA publishing. In the process of submitting a paper for OA publishing you may apply to the Bradford block grant to cover the related Article Processing Charge. It is important that you fill in the form FIRST before anything else, to ensure there are funds remaining in our block grant, and that your paper is actually eligible for funding. A provisional purchase order will subsequently be raised, and the Bradford author can then send this PO number to the publisher BEFORE requesting Open Access for the paper. Any invoices received from publishers need to be sent DIRECTLY to the Finance Department (the application form and related instructions provide the contact email).
NB! funds from the block grant are only available if the research was UKRI funded and this is acknowledged in the research publication; and if there are funds remaining in the fund.
The University also has arrangements in place with selected publishers to allow for discounted or waived APCs. Authors need to contact the library to enquire about the availability of any applicable discounts.
Agreements are in place with the following journal publishers for our researches to publish Gold OA without additional payments:
- Brill - Research articles published in any Brill title.
- Cambridge University Press (majority of titles included in Gold OA charge waiver). Applies to research and review articles; and Rapid Communications (RRR). Brief report and case report article types, which are often linked to research articles, are also included.
- Oxford University Press (list of titles) research and review articles, brief reports and case reports.
- Royal Society of Chemistry - hybrid titles included in the agreement. Gold OA titles are NOT included nor is Chemistry Education Research and Practice (CERP).
- Selected Springer journal titles.
- SAGE (all hybrid titles included) NB! Articles published as part of commercially sponsored supplements, errata (which remain free to all to view), book reviews, editorials, published abstracts, call for papers, news items or similar are excluded from this service. Check for titles not participating or with special pricing.
- Taylor & Francis Open Select titles.
- Wiley - Gold OA titles and hybrid titles included. Research and Review articles only.
Wiley give a 25% discount to UoB authors, who have not had UKRI/Wellcome Trust funding and cannot use the JISC Agreement to wave their APC charges, to publish a Gold OA paper. Use code KA6CA.
NB! The listed publisher agreements offer Gold OA publishing without any added APC costs to the submitting author throughout the year on a first-come-first-served basis. The agreements are based on the JISC consortium fund allocation for each agreement and the funds per publisher may run out before end of the calendar year. If and when funds for APCs run out for any given publisher, submitting authors will be asked to fund their APCs by other means.