Information for visitors
New external members can only be registered during our staffed hours. Please check our opening hours before travelling.
Important note: It will not be possible to join as an external member during the period 25 September to 16 October 2023. This is to allow library staff to focus on new University of Bradford students during the busy enrolment period. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Students and staff from other universities - SCONUL Access
SCONUL Access is a reciprocal scheme which allows many university library members to use or borrow books from other libraries which belong to the scheme. The scheme covers many university libraries in the UK and Ireland.
Note: Please be aware that members of other university libraries will not be granted access to our library without going through the SCONUL application process.
To apply for membership use the application form on the SCONUL Access web page.
Before coming to the J.B. Priestley Library:
- Your application needs to be approved by your own institution's library. Do be patient as your library may have a high number of applications to process.
- Ensure you have everything you are required to bring with you. This will be stated in the email from SCONUL and will include the application approval email and your home university card.
- Visit the J.B. Priestley Library during staffed service opening hours.
Note: some institutions that previously participated in the scheme are not participating at this time. Check with your home library if you do not see it listed.
Alumni of the University are automatically entitled to reference and study use of the library after leaving the University.
Please visit the J.B. Priestley Library Welcome desk during staffed service opening hours, to complete an application form and receive your library card. Bring your old UB number along, if possible.
Bradford College students
Students from Bradford College may not use the library unless prior permission has been obtained by the College Director of Learning Resources, on their behalf. Where such permission has been granted the letter of authority must be produced.
Current NHS medical staff are automatically entitled to reference and study use of the library, this does not include borrowing books, access to computers or printing.
Please bring your NHS photo ID card to the JB Priestley Library Welcome Desk during staffed service opening hours to complete an application form and receive your library card.
Members of the public and community researchers
Members of the public may have limited access to the university library collections as follows:
- Special Collections has over 100 collections of archives and rare books on University history, Bradford, the Yorkshire Dales, peace, archaeology and much more.
- The Commonweal Collection is an independent specialist library concerned with issues relating to non-violent social change.
- University of Bradford theses.
- Community research groups may wish to organise an induction session for group members once the library is able to accommodate external visitors again. Please contact email@example.com.
- Members of the public may be granted special access to consult specific books or journals to which there is no other reasonable local access. Requests should be made in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This notice applies to members of the University of Bradford library who are not registered students or members of staff of the University.
Data collected includes
- email address;
- UB number (Bradford graduates only);
- name of home institution, membership type and home institution card number (SCONUL Access members only);
- name of home institution and card number (HE and FE members outside the SCONUL Access scheme);
- name of home institution (school visitors);
- photograph and
- usage data, including entries made and items borrowed.
The data given will be used for the purpose of giving access to services provided by the University of Bradford library.
Statistics collected on usage are gathered anonymously.
Data relating to most of our users will not be used for marketing purposes. The exceptions are Commonweal and Special Collections users who may receive occasional messages relating to these collections.
Data will be deleted no later than the September following expiry of the account, unless there are unpaid fines or one or more books on the account. In this case, data will be retained for the purpose of debt recovery.
Data will be shared with a third party only for purposes of debt recovery, and, in the case of student members, with the student’s home institution in the event of misconduct.
Users can withdraw consent at any time by emailing email@example.com. Access to the library will cease as soon as the data we hold is deleted.
JB Priestley Library
University of Bradford
Tel. 01274 233301
To contact the University’s Data Protection Officer, please call 01274 233021 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues.