Acceptable Use Policy
The bandwidth assigned to RoamNet is regarded as very good for performing your academic tasks.
Some limited personal Internet usage is permitted as a privilege and not a right, by the University Regulations.
We reserve the right to limit the use of RoamNet for non-academic purposes at any time if necessary in order to protect the capability of the network to support academic work.
The University reserves the right to monitor use of its facilities to ensure that such use complies with University Regulations and the Law.
The main restrictions on RoamNet are:
- Setting up servers of any kind is not allowed.
- Wireless Network Devices (router, access points) are not allowed.
- Network Devices such as switches, routers, hubs are not allowed.
- The use of file sharing software such as BitTorrent, Kazaa, eDonkey is not allowed.
- The following examples contravene the University IT regulations, and are deemed a serious offence when using any computer connected to the University Network:
- downloading or sharing of any copyright material including software, music and video.
- distribution or use of invasive software, such as 'worms', 'Trojan Horses' and 'viruses'.
- attempting to gain access to any account not belonging to you, including attempts to identify user passwords on University facilities or those of other institutions.
- use of University computing facilities as a staging ground to crack other systems.
- deliberately or knowingly causing a system to fail or service to crash.
- facilitating access to, or the transmission, display or replay of material which may be considered offensive, defamatory or harassing in the context of the University Code of Practice on Personal Harassment.