Personal File Storage (Novell Home Drive)
Staff Filestores Service running
Student Filestores Service running
Personal file storage is a secure place for University students and staff to keep their personal University work. This is generally presented, and referred to as your G (Staff) or M (Students) drive, but may also be called your Home folder.
The filestore is backed up daily, however it is possible for users to restore files if deleted by accident using the salvage function.
- Access from IT Services managed computers via the G or M drive.
- The salvage function enables the user to self- restore files.
- Deleted files can be restored from the nightly backups for up to a month (Files available from salvage may be available for longer).
- Data is mirrored across data centres for resiliency.
- Access is available from most modern desktop operating systems and mobile devices.
- Remote access is available via a number of methods.
- Personal secure location to store work.
All students and staff have access to this service, except for the Faculty of Engineering and Informatics, which has a dedicated area.
24 hours throughout the year with the following exceptions:
- System maintenance normally takes place during the weekly improvement period. Scheduled improvement dates are also planned throughout the year. See all IT improvement dates.
Any performance issues are displayed on the IT Service Status page.
Level of service
Support and documentation
Remote Access for staff documentation is also available.
For all other support issues or queries please contact IT Servicedesk.
- For students: personal file storage is provisioned as part of your University account creation. A default quota is set at 20GB.
- For staff: personal file storage is provisioned as part of your Novell account creation. A default quota is set at 30GB.
If an area runs out of space from its quota, a message will be sent to prompt a house keeping exercise before expansion requests will be considered.
The Common Filestore is provided to host work- related data only. On occasion reports may be run to identify potential non- work files. If you are found to be the owner of such files you may be contacted by IT Services.
No charge is made for the support and maintenance of this service.