The University’s network connections provide data network connectivity across the campus.
Once connected, authorised users can access the University’s many network based resources and services. Additionally, the network connection service provides access to the national JANET network, and the wider Internet.
- Provision of network connections (aka data sockets).
- Provides access to University networked information and services.
- Provides access to JANET and Internet based information and services.
- Designed to be available at all times.
- Accessible across the University of Bradford Campus.
The network connection service is available across the campus. Access is tailored according to the type of user.
24 hours throughout the year with the following exceptions:
- System maintenance normally takes place during the weekly improvement period. Scheduled improvement dates are also planned throughout the year. See all IT improvement dates.
Any performance issues are displayed on the IT Service Status page.
Level of service
The campus network will be operational 24 hours per day, 7 days per week with a serviceability level of over 99%, subject to staff availability outside office hours.
IT Services will:
- maintain a network of adequate capacity and reliability for cross campus and external communication.
- maximise availability subject to response times of JANET. Please note an at-risk period is in operation for essential maintenance and upgrade work to JANET, YHMAN, and the University Campus Network; this takes place every Tuesday 07:00 – 09:00.
- use protocols adopted by and equipment recommended by the academic community.
- install new equipment or upgrades to existing equipment with minimum disruption to services.
- operate and perform periodic checks of the network infrastructure.
- liaise with contractors when new or modified data sockets are required by departments.
- install and document network sockets.
- investigate individual connection problems taking appropriate remedial action or reporting network equipment failure to maintenance companies.
- provide an appropriate level of support for remote access to the campus network.
The connection to JANET is protected by a firewall.
The target response time for a campus wide network issue is 1 hour and solution time is 4 hours.
The target response time for a group or individual network issue is 4 hours and solution time is 1 working day.
Support and documentation
Support is available from IT Servicedesk.
Departments will be expected to:
- Give adequate notice (10 working days) when new sockets are required (via IT Servicedesk).
- Provide funding for voice and data cabling and equipment in their areas.
- Comply with the University networking strategy, with University Regulations and with the Acceptable Use Policy of JANET and remote services.
Contact IT Servicedesk for a quote for new sockets.