Skip to content

Do I need a Visa to come to the UK and study?

Your course duration is 6 months or less

If you are only coming to study in the UK for a short time (6 months or less), you are allowed to study on a Standard Visitor Visa. You will need to follow the application requirements specific to your country.

The International Student Support Team can provide a letter confirming your course and study dates for your visa application. If this is something you will require, please let us know.

You already have permission to enter the UK

If you already have immigration permission to come to (or remain in) the UK in a non-study related category this might allow you to study. However, some immigration categories prohibit study so the International Student Support team will need to check your right to study before you can enrol on your course.

Please contact the International Student Support team if you have any questions about you current immigration status.

You are an EU/EEA/Swiss national

If you are an EU/EEA or Swiss national then you may now need permission to study and live in the UK.

  • If you arrived before 01 January 2021, you have until the end of June to apply for pre-settlement in the UK. If you choose not to apply for pre-settlement by this point, you will need a visa in order to continue your studies.
  • If you entered the UK from 01 January 2021, you will require permission to study in the UK. 
    • If your course is 6 months or less, you may study in the UK on a Standard Visitor Visa. You can apply for this at the border like other non-visa nationals.
    • If your course lengeth is more than 6 months, you will require a Student visa.

It is your responsibility to make us aware if you will require a visa to study. If are an EU/EAA/Swiss national and you arrive in the UK from 01 January 2021 and you have not arranged for a valid visa to study, we will not be able to enrol you on the course until you have procured one. 

You do not fall into the above categories and/or need a visa

If you have already been accepted onto a course of study at the University of Bradford, there are two types of visa for studying in the UK:

The short-term study visa category allows students to study in the UK specifically on an English Language course lasting more than 6 months up to a maximum of 11 months. You can find more information about this visa and the eligibility requirements on the government website.

You cannot apply for a Short-term Study visa in the UK

If you will be applying for a Short-term Study visa, please email We will then be able to issue you a Short-term Study Letter for your visa application.

If you are studying a course that is longer than 6 months and is not an English Language course, or is longer than 11 months for any course, you MUST obtain entry clearance through the Student Route before travelling to the UK, regardless of your nationality. 

EU Nationals – Visa changes from 1 January 2021

Freedom of movement between the UK and EU ends on 31 December 2020 and from 1st January 2021 the UK will implement a points-based immigration system.

  • International students, including EU, EEA and Swiss citizens, can now apply for a  in 2021. 
  • All prospective international students, including EU, EEA and Swiss nationals coming to the UK on or after 1 January 2021 for a course longer than 6 months will need to apply to the , or the Child Student route if they are aged between 4-17 years old.
  • EU, EEA and Swiss students and their family members who are resident in the UK by 31 December 2020 are eligible to apply to the  and should not apply under the points-based immigration system. EU citizens must have started living in the UK by 31 December 2020 to be eligible to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme and should apply by 30 June 2021. Students should still apply to the EU Settlement Scheme even if they do not intend to stay in the UK long-term. It is free to apply and applications can be made online on GOV.UK
  • EU, EEA and Swiss students can continue to visit the UK for up to 6 months without applying for a visa and may participate in short term study.