Skip to content

The deadline for the submission of these documents to the International Student Support Team in order to receive your CAS for the January 2022 intake is 23 November 2021

Documents required for your visa application

 All Student Visa applicants need to provide:

  • a current passport
  • the academic evidence stated in your CAS
  • proof of your relationship with your parent or guardian and consent if you are under 18
  • your tuberculosis test results if you are from a country where you have to take the test (please see below for more information)
  • financial evidence showing that you have the remaining tuition fee and appropriate amount of maintenance or that you are fully sponsored (countries on the differential evidence requirement list are not expected to provide this evidence with the application, but the Home Office can ask for it so it is advisable to have it prepared)
  • an in-date ATAS certificate, if it is specified in your offer letter that your course requires ATAS clearance (provided you are not from a country that is exempt)

You will not need to provide your evidence for English Language unless it is stated on your CAS (this applies to applicants studying pre-sessionals and foundation courses). The university has already assessed you proficiency in English prior to issuing the CAS.

You may need to show additional documents based on your circumstances.

According to the government guidance (Appendix ST 22.1), evidence to show that the applicant meets the financial requirement and the requirement to provide documents used to obtain an offer does not need to be provided with the application (but may be required by the decision maker) if the applicant is applying from the country or territory where they are living, or from in the UK, and the applicant either:

(a) holds a valid passport which shows they are registered as a British National (Overseas), or which was issued by the competent authorities of Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR or Taiwan (which includes the number of the identification card issued by the competent authority in Taiwan); or

(b) is a national of any of the following:

· Australia
· Austria
· Bahrain
· Barbados
· Belgium
· Botswana
· Brazil
· Brunei
· Bulgaria
· Cambodia
· Canada
· Chile
· China
· Croatia
· Republic of Cyprus
· Czech Republic
· Denmark
· The Dominican Republic
· Estonia
· Finland
· France
· Germany
· Greece
· Hungary
· Iceland
· Indonesia
· Ireland
· Italy
· Japan
· Kazakhstan
· Kuwait
· Latvia
· Liechtenstein
· Lithuania
· Luxembourg
· Malaysia
· Malta
· Mauritius
· Mexico
· Netherlands
· New Zealand
· Norway
· Oman
· Peru
· Poland
· Portugal
· Qatar
· Romania
· Serbia
· Singapore
· Slovakia
· Slovenia
· South Korea
· Spain
· Sweden
· Switzerland
· Thailand
· Tunisia
· United Arab Emirates
· United States of America

Financial requirements

You will need to show you have enough money to pay for the course tuition fees and living costs while in the UK - this is referred to as 'Maintenance or Funds' by the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).

Course fees

You will need to show you have enough money to pay for the first year of your course or the entire course, if it is less than 12 months long.

If you pay your tuition fees in full before you apply for your visa, you will only need to show you have the maintenance amount, however you will need to provide evidence in your visa application that this has been paid and / or you can inform the International Student Support & UKVI Compliance team and we can update your CAS letter.


You must show that you have a minimum £9,207, which is based on £1,023 per month over a period of 9 months. If your course is less than 9 months, you will need to ensure you show the total amount based on £1,023 per month for the total period of your course.

If you are self-financed, you will need an original bank statement to cover a 28 consecutive day period, ending no more than 31 days before the date of your visa application.

Bank statements

On your original printed bank statement, it must include the following:

  • Your name;
  • The account number;
  • The date of the statement;
  • The bank’s logo;
  • The amount of money available.

Parents' bank statements

You can use your parents' bank statement as evidence and it must include all the information outlined above. If you are relying on their finances, you will also need to submit:

  • Your original birth certificate or certificate of adoption or court document naming your legal guardian; and
  • A letter from your parent/guardian confirming their relationship to you and giving their permission for you to use their money.

You are not permitted to use other family members bank statements such as an Aunt or Uncle

Please use this tool to help calculate how much money you need to show in your bank statement and/or other financial document. You will need a copy of your offer letter.


A. Tuition Fee (this will be stated on your offer letter)


B. Scholarship (scholarship mentioned on your offer letter or if you are eligible for a different discount such as alumni discount, populate this field with the larger discount)


C. Final tuition fee (this amount should be stated on your CAS): Subtract B from A

    *if you are planning on paying your tuition in full prior to the issuing of the CAS for the early payment discount, take this number and multiply it by 0.97 to get your full tuition fee with the 3% disount. This amount should be the same or less than the amount of the deposit paid.


D. Deposit payment


E. Subtract D from C. This is the amount of tuition you still owe.


F. Number of months you will be studying (if greater than 9, enter 9).


G. Multiply F by £1,203. This is the amount of maintenance you need to show (for most students this will be £9,207).


H. Add E and G. This is the amount of money you need to show in your financial evidence.


Please use OANDA to convert this into your local currency.

If you are financially sponsored, the sponsor will need to be approved by our finance department and will need to meet UKVI sponsorship requirements:

  • You can receive official financial sponsorship from Her Majesty’s Government, your home government, the British Council or any international organisation, international company, university or a UK independent school

You will need to provide a letter from your sponsor on official letter-headed paper with their official stamp. The letter must show:

  • Your name;
  • The name and contact details of your official sponsor;
  • The date of the letter;
  • The length of your sponsorship;
  • The amount of money the sponsor is giving you or a statement that your official sponsor will cover all of your course tuition fees and living costs.


Tuberculosis (TB) testing

Citizens of certain nationalities are required to be screened for Tuberculosis (TB) as part of their visa application process if they are coming to the UK for more than 6 months.

There is a list of the countries issued by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) that shows where TB testing is a requirement. If you are a national of one of these countries, you are required to obtain a 'Clearance Certificate' from an accredited clinic.

You can read a more detailed overview of the test requirements outlined by UKVI.

Prior to being issued with a CAS, we will request a copy of the TB certificate, if required.