EU Nationals – Visa changes from 1 January 2021
Freedom of movement between the UK and EU ends on 31 December 2020 and from 1st January 2021 the UK will implement a points-based immigration system.
- International students, including EU, EEA and Swiss citizens, can now apply for a in 2021.
- All prospective international students, including EU, EEA and Swiss nationals coming to the UK on or after 1 January 2021 for a course longer than 6 months will need to apply to the , or the Child Student route if they are aged between 4-17 years old.
- EU, EEA and Swiss students and their family members who are resident in the UK by 31 December 2020 are eligible to apply to the and should not apply under the points-based immigration system. EU citizens must have started living in the UK by 31 December 2020 to be eligible to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme and should apply by 30 June 2021. Students should still apply to the EU Settlement Scheme even if they do not intend to stay in the UK long-term. It is free to apply and applications can be made online on GOV.UK
- EU, EEA and Swiss students can continue to visit the UK for up to 6 months without applying for a visa and may participate in short term study.
EU Settlement Scheme
The UK left the EU on the 31 January 2020. A citizen from the EU/EEA who enters the UK and is resident in the UK before the 31 December 2020 is eligible to apply for the EU pre-settlement scheme. Applications must be made prior to 30 June 2021.
The application is currently free and is designed to be user-friendly. You can apply online and using an app called EU Exit which is available on Android or Apple devices.
You will be asked questions about your identity, nationality and residence. You will need to your passport or biometric national ID, your national insurance number if you have one, and to declare any criminal convictions.
If you would like assistance with making a pre-settlement application when you arrive in the UK, you can contact the International Student Adviser at email@example.com
If you are an EU student, you will have received information from us about the changes to immigration as a result of Brexit, and the EU Settlement Scheme. If you intend to travel outside the UK during the Christmas vacation period, you must apply for Pre-settled / Settled Status before you leave the UK. If you do not, you will be subject to the new Points-based Immigration System when you return in 2021. If you have any queries, please contact the visa support team.
We are holding webinars with more information about the scheme and how to apply. The upcoming webinars are:
- Monday 22 March 2021 at 2:30pm - Register here.
You can also find a link to a recording of a previous webinar here.
More information and guidance on the scheme can be found below: