Developing Dementia Specialist Skills Across Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council
The School of Dementia Studies is working with Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council to develop an approach to workforce development in dementia care.
Length of Project
Three years commencing in 2011
- To support knowledge development for all staff working in dementia care services across the Borough
- To provide the part of the knowledge input to the Borough’s cross-service knowledge framework in Person Centred Dementia Care
Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council has developed a bronze to platinum framework which sets out the expectations of knowledge and skills across the whole workforce.
As part of that framework we have provided:
- 6 Cornerstones in Person-Centred Care training courses
- 22 staff attended a Learning to Use Dementia Care Mapping Course
- 30 staff attended a Dementia Care Mapping for Supported Living course
- Support and mentoring for Dementia Care Mappers in practice
Feedback from members of staff has highlighted that the training has helped them to make a real difference to the way that they consider their approach to caring for people living with dementia.
As the project continues, we will be evaluating the impact alongside Rotherham Council’s Learning and Development team.