Skip to content
Open menu Close menu

Financial Support for Students with Disabilities

Help from the Government and the University

  • If you have a disability you may be able to get extra support through the Student Finance Service in England.
  • This support will depend on your needs and not your income.
  • The Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) will help with costs you incur in attending your course as a direct result of your disability.
  • The DSAs are available to full-time and part-time students with disabilities, although part-time students must be studying at least 25% of a full-time course.
  • DSAs are available to both undergraduates and postgraduates and do not have to be repaid.
  • They can be used towards specialist equipment, non-medical helpers, e.g. note-takers or sign language interpreters, or additional costs such as travel expenses.
  • You may have to contribute towards the cost of some specialist equipment yourself. However, depending on your situation, you may qualify for some support from the University. Contact the Disability Service for more information.

For more information on DSAs see the Student Finance England website.

Students with disabilities who are eligible for means-tested benefits will receive a Special Support Grant from the Government in place of the Maintenance Grant. The two grants are essentially the same in value; the major difference is that students on the Special Support Grant will be able to access the maximum value of student loan for maintenance.

Support from the University of Bradford

Students with disabilities may also apply to the University of Bradford Hardship Fund for additional support.