Richmond Building Atrium
Opened in 2006, the Atrium is built on a former car park using EFTE, the self-cleaning material also used in the Eden Centre and Beijing's Water Cube and Bird's Nest Stadium. Improvements begun in July 2013 aim to stabilise the temperature, reduce glare and create a more pleasant environment.
The Atrium is the place on the City Campus for relaxation and informal meetings. We use it for Open Days, recruitment fairs and graduation shows.
A small display stand, ViewPoint, may be booked by staff or students for campaigns or small exhibitions, while the window area can be used for slightly larger displays and for certain activities, such as 24-hour challenges, where security and first aid cover are a particular concern.
The main Atrium area is devoted to University business during the day, but may be bookable for other events after 5pm or at weekends. Student societies may book ViewPoint and the window area for suitable activities, but not the main Atrium space unless the event is to be managed by the Union.
Equipment and layouts
- Floor points for power and data
- Furniture: the Atrium normally has informal seating. Shell systems can be hired in for University events, and we hope to have a system permanently in storage once the refurbishment is complete. Round tables can be set up for cabaret-style or dinner layouts.
How to apply to use the Atrium
- First, please see the Atrium Usage Guide (Richmond Building) (PDF, 183 kB)
- Optionally, check availability by contacting the Timetabling & Attendance Office. You can contact them on ext. 4848 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete the event approval request form, selecting the Atrium as your preferred venue
- To apply to use the Atrium ViewPoint (available to University of Bradford staff and students only): please complete the ViewPoint application form. Only suitable activities - small-scale exhibitions, information points or campaigns - will be considered for this area.
- To apply to use the corner by the window opposite the coffee bar (available to University of Bradford staff and students only): please complete the standard event application form and choose "Richmond Atrium window area" in the drop-down list for preferred venue. Only suitable uses, including small exhibitions and RAG-style activities, will be considered for this area.
Documents and links
- Atrium Usage Guide (Richmond Building) (PDF, 183 kB)
- Inventory of Layouts and Equipment
- Atrium evacuation and housekeeping announcement