University of Bradford E&F Environmental Policy
At the Department of Estates and Facilities we recognise that to continue delivering excellence in our learning and teaching, research and knowledge transfer we need to ensure that our activities are conducted in an environmentally responsible manner. The Department of Estates and Facilities supports 13,000 students and 2,500 staff. Its major environmental impacts include waste production, the use of fossil fuels and emissions caused by energy use and transportation.
Our Corporate Strategy includes sustainability at its core as one of its values, stating that the University will aim to deliver a world leading eco-campus.
Taking a responsible approach to the environment is therefore a fundamental way of working at the University of Bradford. We aspire to achieve this by minimising our environmental impacts and continuously improving our environmental performance. We have conducted a baseline environmental review that will allow us to benchmark our performance against other organisations.
Environmental objectives and targets shall be approved annually by the Estates & Facilities Senior Management group and set by EcoCampus Implementation Team in the Department of Estates and Facilities. Energy and Scope 1&2 Carbon targets including our ambitious target to cut carbon emissions by 50% by 2017 through our 50@50 programme. Final responsibility for the environmental performance is with the Director of Estates and Facilities. The Department of Estates and Facilities will:
Environmental Management and Compliance Obligations:
- Meet and where appropriate apply more stringent standards to ensure we comply with our compliance obligations
- Commit to continual improvement of the environmental management system in order to enhance environmental performance
Protection of the Environment by:
- Improve energy and water management thus reducing emissions of global warming gases and carbon dioxide
- Implement measures reduce staff and student dependence on car travel including encouraging walking, cycling and the use of public transport and promote the use of virtual meetings technology to prevent the need for business travel.
- Use the waste management hierarchy to seek to reduce waste from our activities and take action to re-use and recycle rather than dispose
- Manage, refurbish and develop our estate and buildings in a manner that avoids impact, enhances the environment and promotes the principles of sustainable development
- Manage and reduce our consumption of those resources and raw materials which have a significant impact on the environment
- Prevent pollution wherever possible by seeking to minimise our pollution to air, land and water
- Promote, monitor and enhance biodiversity of our sites through adding habitats, native and edible planting policies
Communication, Awareness Raising and Involvement:
- Raise staff and student awareness of their environmental impacts and how to minimise them
- Work with and support the community and our partners to improve the local environment for all
Simon Duarri, Head of Facilities
(pp for Clive Wilson, Director of Estates, and University Senior Management Team Member)
Date: June 2017
This site has moved
This website has moved to SharePoint and can be found at: https://unibradfordac.sharepoint.com/sites/estates-and-facilities-intranet. Please update any bookmarks you may have. You will need to sign in to access this site with your:
- University username with @bradford.ac.uk appended, for example firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: if you are a student who registered with the University before 16 June 2014 your username may be in the format: email@example.com
- And your University password.
In addition to the link above, you can find the new site by going to the 'More Services' link on the menu in the University Portal, or by using the Search bar within the Portal.
Why has this site moved?
The University is currently in the process of moving all websites which are aimed at current students and staff to our new SharePoint intranet.