Race Equality Staff Forum
The Forum meets regularly to discuss issues and activities that contribute to the University’s work on race equality.
The Forum aims to:
- promote the University’s approach to race equality and good race relations;
- provide role models and advocates for progressing racial equality;
- offer a support network for staff;
- celebrate and promote social and cultural cohesion.
Forthcoming meeting dates TBC
The group is currently co-chaired by Dr Yunis Alam (firstname.lastname@example.org ) and Mr Ira Jeffers (email@example.com). The Chair of the Forum has a place on the University’s Equality and Diversity Committee which recommends policy, action and initiatives to the University’s Senate and Council.
For more information on on the Race Equality Staff Forum contact:
Structure of the Race Equality Staff Forum Steering Group
- RESF has appointed co-chairs who will work with the steering group;
- The steering group will meet more often as the operational group to plan specific actions;
- The steering group will create a Core Reference Group made up of co-opted members who will support set tasks as appropriate;
- Liaison member from Equality and Diversity team to attend meetings and support the Forum;
- The Group will keep an up-to-date intranet area for their networking;
- The Group will organise at least one event per year;
|Yunis Alam [Social Sciences]||Co-Chair|
|Ira Jeffers [HR]||Co-Chair|
|Toheed Raza [IT]||Secretary|
|Narkis Rahman [PLG]||Membership co-ordination|
|Takao Maruyama [PLG]||Data gathering|
|Aicha Bahij [Library]||Forum project co-ordination|
Steering group member role description
- Time off to attend meetings during the working day. This could be up to five hours per year and agreed with line manager;
- Help to develop aims and purpose of the forum;
- Help to develop and implement an action plan for the forum;
- Engage in consultation on related diversity policies and legislation;
- Channelling of issues through forum co-chairs to the Equality and Diversity Committee and Diversity Staff Forum;
- Helping to organise forum specific events;
- Able to offer peer support to colleagues.
- Organise and Chair meetings and network events (with support from E&D team);
- Point of contact for E&D team;
- Budget holder;
- Attend E&D Committee and Diversity Staff Forum meetings;
- To seek resolutions/responses to questions and issues raised by the Forum.
- To support the Chair/co-chair by helping to organise meetings/agendas and taking the minutes as appropriate
- Will form part of the steering group. Steering group to agree content of the roles.