Race Equality Charter Mark
What is it?
- Launched in 2016, Advance HE’s Race Equality Charter(REC) evolved from work evaluating initiatives which might light to a systemic change in race equality within the Higher Education(HE) System.
- The REC was built and developed on a framework using the experience and methodology of Advance HE’s Athena SWAN Charter, as well as extensive consolation within the HE system.
- The Charter is managed by Advance HE (formerly the Equality Challenge Unit (ECU) and UK Resource Centre and funded by the Royal Society, Biomedical Society and the Department of Health.
Why do it?
- Complementing our internationalisation agenda for an improved experience for our international students and staff
- Increasing awareness of globalisation and diversity for all students, which is attractive to prospective employers
- Promoting our plans to attract, utilise and retain talented individuals
- Increasing the potential for innovation and creativity throughout our institution
- Joining up other shared institutional agendas such as widening participation
- Meeting our legal obligations of the Equality Act 2010
- In January 2013, the Research Council UK launched its ‘Statement of Expectations for Equality and Diversity’, which states that it expects those in receipt of Research Council funding to “provide evidence of ways in which equality and diversity issues are managed at both institutional and department level”.
Race Equality Charter Update 2020
The REC institutional self-assessment team (SAT) are working towards their 2021 submission, the Equality Diversity and Inclusion Team are involved in overseeing the submission process and will continue to meet regularly with SAT team members to monitor the action plan.
The University of Bradford is developing its action plan, with actions falling under the headings of:
- Curriculum, Learning and Teaching
- External Engagement Work including Research and Knowledge Transfer
- Data including Survey / Focus Groups / Consultation
- Communication and Involvement
- Student Experience including, UBU, Societies, Classrooms, and outside the Classroom
- Staff Experience
- Leadership and Culture Change at every level
REC SAT TOR
If you require this information in an alternative format, please contact our team.