Professor Ray Sheriff
- Title: Professor of Electronic Engineering
- Email: R.E.Sheriff@Bradford.ac.uk
- Extension: 4053
- Room No. Chesham B3.22
- Qualifications: BEng MBA PhD
- Additional Role: Head of Electrical Engineering
- Additional Role: Member of School's Management Committee
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/RayES1
- LinkedIn: https://uk.linkedin.com/in/raysheriff
- Research Groups: Future Ubiquitous Networks
- Research Groups: Electronics, Communications and Information Systems Engineering
Prof Ray E. Sheriff is Head of Electrical Engineering and Professor of Electronic Engineering, a position he has held since 2002.
Previous Administrative Roles:
Director of Postgraduate Taught Programmes (2013-14)
Subject Group Leader, Telecommunications, Electronics and Electrical Eng (2002-2013)
Network protocol design
Mobile and satellite communications
Technology for assistive living and enhancing teaching and learning.
Satellite Communications and Applications (Level 7 - Module Leader: 20 Credits; 100% teaching load) 2017 - present;
Mobile & Satellite Communications (Level 6 - Module Leader: 20 credits; 80% teaching load) 2016 - present.
Mobile and Wireless Communications (Level 7 - Module Leader: 20 credits; 80% teaching load) 2016 - present;
Satellite Communications (Level 7 - Module Leader: 10 Credits; 90% teaching load) 2001 - 2016;
Research Seminar Series (Level 7 - Module Leader: 10 credits; 100% teaching load) 2001 - 2016;
Mobile and Wireless Communications Networks (Level 7 - Module Leader: 10 credits; 50% teaching load) 2004 - 2016;
Advanced Mobile & Satellite Communications (Level 6 - Module Leader: 10 credits; 50% teaching load) 2003 - 2016.
Chief External Examiner - Taught
The University of the West of England, Engineering, Mathematics and Design, (2016 - present)
External Examiner - Taught
The University of Warwick, MSc Electrical Engineering Programmes (2012-present)
University of Bolton BEng Electronic Engineering Programme (2015-present)
Glasgow Caledonian University BEng Electronic Engineering Programmes (2009-2014)
External Examiner - Research
Edinburgh, Glasgow Caledonian, Glamorgan (2), Huddersfield, Strathclyde, South Wales, York (2)
IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (2017)
IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing (2016)
IEEE Systems Journal (2016)
International Journal of Satellite Communications and Networking (2016, 2012, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2002, 2001)
IET Communications (2016, 2014, 2010)
China Communications (2016, 2013)
Engineering Education (2014)
Radio Science (2008)
IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology (2007, 2006)
EURASIP Journal of Wireless Communications and Networks (2006)
IEEE Wireless Communications Magazine (2005)
ACM SIGCOM Mobile Computing and Communications Review (2004)
IEEE Communications Magazine (2002, 1999)
IEEE Transactions on Selected Areas in Communications (2001)
IEEE Networks Magazine (2000)
IEE Electronics & Communications Engineering (1996)
Book Proposal Reviews
McGraw Hill Education (2016)
John Wiley & Sons (2011, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2000)
Cambridge University Press (2009, 2006)
Kluwer Academic Press (2002)
Continue to submit bids under British Council ResearcherLinks, EPRSC and Royal Academy of Engineering Calls in areas of inter-disciplinary research with a focus on technology and its role within society.
Current, and significant recent, funded projects
British Council Researcher Links Newton Fund Workshop, ICT for Health and Well-Being of Older People (ICT4HOP'17), Bradford, UK
British Council Researcher Links Newton Fund Workshop, ICT for Health and Well-Being of Older People (ICT4HOP'16), Chengdu, China
Royal Academy of Engineering National HE STEM Programme
EPSRC VESEL Project
EU FP6 Satellite Communications Network of ExcellenceÂ (SatNEx)
Applications submitted and under consideration
KydroSat - Horizon 2020 Competitiveness in Earth Observation Mission Technologies, March 2017, under review; with 10 partners from 5 other nations.
PRINCE 2 Practitioner Certification
PRINCE 2 Foundation Certification
Registered with Engineering Council UK as Chartered Engineer
Fellow of the Institute of Engineering & Technology (FIET)
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Registered Chartered Engineer with Engineering Council
Co-Director of Joint Innovation Laboratory of Advanced Communications and Signal Processing Technologies in collaboration with Sichuan University, China
Recent Technical Programme Committee Membership:
IEEE Int. Conf. on Aerospace Electronics and Remote Sensing Technology (ICARES) 2017, Bali, Indonesia, 23-25 December 2017.
IEEE GLOBECOM 2017, Singapore, 4-8 December 2017.
IEEE Int. Conf. on Communication Technology (ICCT 2017), Chengdu, China, 27-30 October 2017.
IEEE Semi-Annual Vehicular Technology Conf. (VTC-2017-Fall), Track: Mobile Satellite Systems, Positioning and Navigation, Montreal, Canada, 24-27 September 2017.
IEEE 2017 Int. Conf. on Control, Electronics, Renewable Energy, and Communications (ICCEREC 2017), Yogyakarta-West Java, Indonesia, 26-28 September 2017.
5th Int. Symp. on Control, Automation, Industrial Informatics and Smart Grid (ICAIS "˜1), Karnataka, India, 13-16 September 2017.
9th EAI Int. Conf. on Wireless and Satellite Systems (WiSATS 2017), Oxford, 24-25 July 2017.
IEEE Vehicular Technology Conf. (VTC-2016-Fall), Track: Mobile Satellite Systems, Positioning and Navigation, Montreal, Canada, 18-21 September 2016.
IEEE 2016 International Conference on Control, Electronics, Renewable Energy, and Communications (ICCEREC 2015), Bandung-West Java, Indonesia, 13-15 Sept. 2016.
IEEE Asia Pacific Connf. on Wireless and Mobile (APWiMob) 2016, Bandung-West Java, Indonesia, 13-15 Sept. 2016.
8th Advanced Satellite Multimedia Systems (ASMS) Conf., Palma del Mallorca, Spain, 5-7 Sept. 2016.
IEEE 27th Int. Symp. on Personal, Indoor, Mobile and Radio Comms. (PIMRC), Valencia, Spain, 4-7 Sept. 2016.
IEEE VTC-2015-Spring, Track: Satellite Communications Networks and Systems, Positioning and Navigation, Nanjing, China, 15-18 May 2016.
Fellowships of Professional Institutions or equivalent
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Fellow of The Institute of Engineering and Technology
International Conference Organisation
Employing Information and Communications Technologies in Homes and Cities for the Health and Well-Being of Older People (ICT4HOP '17), Bradford, 14 "“ 16 August, 2017
2016 UK-China Researcher Links Workshop on Employment of Information and Communication Technology for the Health and Well-Being of Older People (ICT4HOP"™16), Chengdu, China
Vice-Chair, Mobile Satellite Systems Track, 65th IEEE Semi-Annual Vehicular Technology Conf. (VTC), Dublin.
International Plenary Lectures, Conference Keynote
Technology and its role in meeting the Diverse needs of Higher Education in the 21st Century", Keynote Speaker, Towards 21st Century Education: University - Industry Collaboration, 2011 3rd Int. Conf. on Learning and Teaching, 14-16 November 2011, Penang, Malaysia.
"The Role of Technology Enhanced Learning and its Global Impact on the Higher Education Sector", Keynote Speaker, Int. Conf. on Recent and Emerging Advanced Technologies in Engineering, Nilai, Malaysia.
"European Advances in Telecommunications Engineering Signposting the way towards the Global Information Society", Keynote Speaker, Int. Conf. on Advanced Technologies in Telecommunication & Control Engineering, Nilai, Malaysia.
Membership of Research Council Peer Review College
EPSRC Peer Review College Member
External Examiner University of Bolton Undergraduate Electrical Engineering Programmes
Member of British Council Newton Engineering and Physical Sciences Peer Review Panel
External Examiner The University of Warwick MSc Electrical Engineering Programmes
External Examiner Glasgow Caledonian University Undergraduate Electronic Engineering Programmes
Member of Editorial Board International Journal of Satellite Communications and Networking (Wiley):
Dr Xuzhe Feng, Visiting Research Fellow, National University of Defense and Technology, Changsha, China (Oct 15 - Sept 16)
Ms Halimatu S Abdullahi
Mr Chiemele Akoma
Mr Ahmed Al-Juboori
Mr Oba Mustapha
SHERIFF RE and HU YF (2001): "Mobile Satellite Communication Networks", Wiley, Chichester ISBN: 978-0-471-72047-8.
For more information see: http://eu.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-047172047X.html
- SHERIFF R.E., HU Y.F., LOSQUADRO G., CONFORTO P. and TOCCI C. (eds.) 2004, "Space/Terrestrial Mobile Networks: Internet Access and QoS Support", Wiley, Chichester ISBN: 0-470-85031-0.
Salam A.A., Sheriff R., Al-Araji S., Mezher K. and Nasir Q. (2017): "Novel Approach for Modeling Wireless Fading Channels
Using a Finite State Markov Chain" ETRI Journal, Wiley, 39 (5): 718-728.
For more information see: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.4218/etrij.17.0117.0246/pdf
Afzal H, Awan I, Mufti M.R. and Sheriff R.E. (2016): "Performance Analysis of Contending Customer Equipment in Wireless Networks" Journal of Systems and Software, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 117 357-365.
For more information see: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/journal-of-systems-and-software
AZAL H., AWAN I.U. and MUFTI M.R. (2015): "Modeling of Initial Contention Window Size for Successful Initial Ranging Process in IEEE 802.22 WRAN Cell" Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 51 135-148.
For more information see: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/simulation-modelling-practice-and-theory/
AZAL H., AWAN I.U. and MUFTI M.R. (2014): "Modelling and Analysis of Customer Premise Equipments Registration Process in IEEE 802.22 WRAN Cell" Journal of Systems and Software, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 98 107-116.
For more information see: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/simulation-modelling-practice-and-theory/
SHERIFF R.E. (2012): "An Evaluation of Studentsâ€™ and Lecturersâ€™ use of
Technologies: An Engineering Case Study
" Engineering Education, Taylor and Francis, 7 (1): 60-73.
For more information see: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.11120/ened.2012.07010033
- MITCHELL P.D. and SHERIFF R.E. (2010): "Editorial: Satellite Systems, Applications and Networking" IET Communications, IET, 4 (13): 1517-1518.
- WYATT-MILLINGTON R.A., SHERIFF R.E. and HU Y.F. (2007): "Performance Analysis of Satellite Payload Architectures for Mobile Services" IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, IEEE, 43 (1): 197-213.
- MOHORCIC M, SVIGELJ A, KANDUS G, HU YF and SHERIFF RE (2003): "Geographic Predictive Traffic Flow Model for Adaptive Routing in Packet-Switched Non-Geostationary Satellite Meshed Networks" Computer Networks: The International Journal of Computer and Telecommunications Networking, Elsevier Science, Amsterdam, 43 (2): 113-131.
- BIANCHI G, BLEFARI-MELAZZI N, CHAN PML, HU YF and SHERIFF RE (2003): "Design and Validation of QoS Aware Mobile Internet Access Procedures for Heterogeneous Networks" Mobile Networks and Applications â€“ Special Issue Personal Environments Mobility in Multi-Provider and Multi-Segment Networks, Kluwer Academic Press, Dordrecht, 8 11-25.
- CHAN P.M., WYATT-MILLINGTON R.A., SVIGELJ A., SHERIFF R.E. and HU Y.F. (2002): "Performance Analysis of Mobility Procedures in a Hybrid Space Terrestrial IP Environment" Computer Networks: The International Journal of Computer and Telecommunications Networking â€“ Special Issue Broadband Satellite Systems: A Networking Perspective, Elsevier Science, Amsterdam, 39 (1): 21-41.
- CHAN P.M., SHERIFF R.E., HU Y.F., CONFORTO P. and TOCCI C. (2002): "Design and Evaluation of Signaling Protocols for Mobility Management in an Integrated IP Environment" Computer Networks: The International Journal of Computer and Telecommunications Networking, Elsevier Science, Amsterdam, 38 (4): 517-530.
ABDULLAHI H.S., MAHIEDDINE F. and SHERIFF R.E. (2015): "Technology Impact on Agricultural Productivity: A Review of Precision Agriculture Using Unmanned Aerial Vehicles", Wireless and Satellite Systems, 7th International Conference, WiSATS 2015 Bradford, UK, July 6â€“7, 2015, Revised Selected Papers, P. Pillai, Y.F. Hu, I. Otung, G. Giambene (ed.), Springer ISBN: 978-3-319-25478-4, pp. 388-400.
For more information see: http://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-319-25479-1
SHERIFF R.E. and ONG F.L. (2012): "Investigation of the Applicability of an E-portfolio Tool to Support Final Year Engineering Projects", Enhancing Engineering Higher Education: Outputs of the National HE STEM Programme, M. Harrison, I. Moore, H. Igarashi, S.. Somani (ed.), The Royal Academy of Engineering, London ISBN: 1-903496-89-6, pp. 100-102.
For more information see: http://www.raeng.org.uk/publications/reports/enhancing-engineering-higher-education
SHERIFF R.E. and TATNALL A.R. (2011): "Telecommunications", Space Systems Engineering, P. Fortescue, G. Swinerd, J. Srark (ed.), Wiley-Blackwell, Chichester ISBN: 047075012X, pp. 395-438.
For more information see: http://eu.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-EHEP002270.html
- ONG F.L. and SHERIFF R.E. (2016): "Exploration of a Multi-Technology System for Future High-Speed Rail Communications", RISUD Annual International Symposium 2016 â€“ Smart Cities, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, 23-24 August 2016, Hong Kong, China.
- SHERIFF R.E. (2016): "Employing Information and Communications Technology in Smart Cities for the Health and Well-Being of Older People with Dementia", RISUD Annual International Symposium 2016 â€“ Smart Cities, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong, China.
- SALAM A.O., SHERIFF R.E., AL-ARAJI A., NASIR Q. and MEZHER K. (2015): "Multi-taper and MIMO Techniques for Spectrum Sensing in Cognitive Radio", 2015 IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits, and Systems (ICECS), 6-9 December 2015, Cairo, Egypt; 173-178, Cairo, Egypt.
- SALAM A.O., SHERIFF R.E., AL-ARAJI S.R., NASIR Q. and MEZHER K. (2015): "Automatic Modulation Classification in Cognitive radio using Multiple Antennas and Maximum-Likelihood Techniques", 15th IEEE International Conference on Computer and Information Technology (CIT-2015), 26-28 October 2015, Liverpool, UK.
- AKOMA C., SHERIFF R.E. and ABDULLAHI H.S. (2015): "Feasibility Studies of an Integrated Terrestrial/Satellite Network for Disaster Management ", IEEE AFRICON 2015, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- SALAM A.O., SHERIFF R.E., AL-ARAJI S.R., NASIR Q. and MEZHER K. (2014): "An Overview on Non-Parametric Spectrum Sensing in Cognitive Radio", The 9th IEEE Int. Conf. on Computer Engineering and Systems (ICCES 2014), 21-23 Dec. 2014., Cairo, Egypt.
- SALAM A.O., AL-ARAJI S.R., NASIR Q., MEZHER K. and SHERIFF R.E. (2014): "General Perspective on Software-Hardware Defined Cognitive Radio Based on Emergency Ad-Hoc Network Topology", The 2014 IEEE Canada Int. Humanitarian Conf., 1-4 June 2014., Montreal, Canada.
- ONG F.L. and SHERIFF R.E. (2009): "Distance Learning of Engineering Based Subjects: A Case Study", 23rd ICDE World Conference on Open Learning and Distance Education, 7-10 June 2009, Maastricht, The Netherlands.