Dr Mark Goodall
- Title: Senior Lecturer
- Email: M.Goodall@Bradford.ac.uk
- Extension: 6071
- Room No. Horton D3.10
- Qualifications: BA Art and Design MA Politics of Visual Representation PhD
- Additional Role: Programme Leader: MA Film Studies/BA Film Studies/MA Digital Filmmaking
- Web: http://www.rudolfrocker.com
- Research Groups: Communication, Culture and Media
The cover of 'Sweet and Savage' by Mark Goodall.
My area of research is film history, specifically cult and experimental films of the 1960s and 1970s. I am an expert in the genre of the Italian 'mondo' film, a form of sensationalist documentary, and have delivered many conference papers and published many essays on the subject.
More recently, I have developed projects on music and 'countercultural studies' (pop festivals, The Beatles, music and the occult, graphic arts and comics etc.).
I tutor MA and PhD students and welcome enquiries from prospective masters and doctoral students especially in the fields of cult and avant-garde film and media, popular music and experimental processes.
I am a guest programmer for the annual Bradford Film festival and have curated retrospectives on filmmakers Gualtiero Jacopetti, Peter Whitehead, Thierry Zeno, Godfrey Reggio, Nicolas Roeg and Harry Kumel.
I organise the TIMECODE research seminar series
I am the editor of 'The Firminist', a periodical dedicated to the life and work of British author Malcolm Lowry:
I am currently working as external examiner at two HE institutions.
I am the co-director and co-producer of HOLY TERRORS a feature film based on the short stories of supernatural horror writer Arthur Machen. Trailer here:
I am also a musician with a body of records, CDs and live shows under my belt. I write and record with the group Rudolf Rocker whose music was used on the popular BBC2 series League of Gentlemen and the live shows relating to this programme. Details can be found here:
I organised the 2009 MeCCSA Conference and the 2014 Archaeologies of Media and Film conference
International Conference Organisation
Media Communication and Cultural Studies Association 2009
British Film Institute
Introduction to film 'Africa Addio' and Panel Discussion
British Film Institute (Southbank)
Invited to introduce film 'Goodbye Uncle Tom (1971)'
Guest on Resonance FM Radio Show ('OST'- Jonny Trunk)
Nazakat Husain Hamasaeed - 'The Impact of Commercial Global Television on Cultural Change and Identity Formation: A Qualitative Study of Kurdish women and the Turkish soap opera Noor' (completed 2011).
Carol Barker - 'Chinese Cinema and Urban Regeneration' (UNESCO City of Film Scholarship- completed 2014)
Ania Draniewicz - 'The cinema of Krzysztof Kieślowski'
Alireza Razazifar - 'The impact of Digital Cinema in Iran' (Completed 2015)
Franzi Florack - 'Film Literacy' (UNESCO City of Film Scholarship)
Karen Scott - 'New natural history? Remediation, simulation and spectacle in contemporary televisual natural history documentary practices'
Nozad Mohammed - 'New Media and Politics in Iraq' (completed 2016)
Dima Jurf - 'Can Digital Media Be Used to Encourage Children to Read Printed Books' (completed 2013)
Karwan Ali - 'Kurdish online newspapers' (completetd 2016)
Will Godfrey - 'Machine Anthropomorphism in Children's Fiction'
Patrick Allen 'Media Transformations: framing, multimodality and visual literacy in contemporary media spaces' (completed 2015)
Emmanuel Nwofe - 'Digital Technologies and Nigerian Newsroom'
Muhammad Shahid - 'Conflict and the Media in Pakistan'
- GOODALL M.D. (2018): "Sweet and Savage: The world through the mondo film lens ", Headpress, Oxford ISBN: 978-1909394506.
- Goodall M.D. (2013): "Gathering of the Tribe: music and heavy conscious creation", Headpress, London ISBN: 1900486857.
Goodall M.D. (2006): "Sweet and Savage: the world through the shockumentary film lens ", Headpress, London ISBN: 1900486490.
For more information see: http://www.headpress.com/ShowProduct.aspx?ID=54
- Goodall M.D. and Roberts B.L. (eds.) 2018, "New Media Archaeologies", University of Amsterdam Press, Amsterdam.
- Goodall M.D., Godfrey W and Good J (eds.) 2007, "Crash Cinema: Representation in Film", Cambridge Scholars Press, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
- Goodall M.D. (2018): "The Three Winds of Albert Lamorisse" Mise-en-scène The Journal of Film & Visual Narration, Kwantlen Polytechnic University, Surrey (BC) Canada, 3 (1).
- Goodall M.D. (2016): "Gallic Galaxies" Shindig!, Silverback, London (56): 62-65.
- Goodall M.D. (2015): "The Tartan Latin Marvel" Shindig!, Silverback, London (49): 26-27.
- Goodall M.D. (2015): "The French Connection" Shindig!, Volcano, Cambridge (47): 26-27.
- Goodall M.D. (2014): "Erotic Witchcraft: Mario Mercier's occult sex films" One Plus One, Brighton, 1 (13): 15-24.
- Goodall M.D. (2013): "L’Occhio Selvaggio: Towards an Occult Film Studies" Aries: Journal for the Study of Western Esotericism, Brill, Leiden, 14 (1).
- Goodall M.D. (2012): "The 'Book of Manson': Raymond Pettibon and the killing of America" Journal of Graphic Novels & Comics , Routledge, London/New York.
- GOODALL M.D. (2011): "'The Anarchist'" fROOTS, Southern Rag Ltd, Bristol, 33 (7/8): 51-53.
Goodall M.D. (2011): "Gualtiero Jacopetti Obituary" The Guardian, The Guardian, London.
For more information see: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/aug/18/gualtiero-jacopetti-obituary
GOODALL M.D. (2011): "Exhibition review: Bringing the War Home Impressions Gallery, Bradford, UK, 17 September to 14 November 2010
" Media, War & Conflict April 2011 4: , , Sage, London, 4 (1): 102-104.
For more information see: http://mwc.sagepub.com/content/current
- GOODALL M.D. (2010): "Man in Disorder: the Cinema of Lina Wertmüller in the 1970s (book review)" Italian Studies, Maney Publishing, Leeds, 65 (3): 437-438.
- Goodall MD (2010): "Spectre vs. Rector: The Fall and Arthur Machen" Faunus, FOAM, London (22): 45-54.
- Goodall M.D. (2010): "Arise: the music of Charles Manson" Headpress, Headpress, London, 2 (2): 4-23.
- Goodall M and Ballard JG (2008): "Look out, its real! J.G. Ballard, 1968 and mondo cinema" Vertigo, Vertigo Publications Ltd., London, 3 (9).
- Goodall M and Ballard JG (2007): "An exhibition of atrocities: J.G. Ballard on mondo films" Headpress, Headpress, London (27): 134-137.
- Allen P and Goodall M (2004): "Mondo Modality: framing and composition in the work of Godfrey Reggio " Crash Cinema Proceedings , Bradford College, Bradford (3).
- Goodall M (2004): "Interview with Gualtiero Jacopetti (excerpt) " Crash Cinema Proceedings 3 , Bradford College, Bradford (3).
- Goodall M (2003): "From Addio to Zio: a mondo movie index " Crash Cinema Proceedings 1 and 2 , Bradford College, Bradford (1/2).
- Goodall M (2003): "Trashing the Net: Subcultural Practice Online " Crash Cinema Proceedings 1 and 2 , Bradford College, Bradford (1/2).
- Goodall M (1994): "Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival " Versus, Versus, Leeds (1).
- Goodall M (1994): "In the Key of F: Christopher Foxs Music Box " Versus , Versus, Leeds (3).
- GOODALL M.D. (2018): "'Barbara', 'Boris Vian', 'Claude Francois', 'Jacques Dutronc', 'Jean Ferrat', 'Joe Dassin', 'Marie Laforet', 'Maxine Le Forestier', 'Valerie Lagrange'", An Anthology of French and Francophone Singers from A to Z , Michaël Abecassis, Marcelline Block (ed.), Cambridge Scholars Press ISBN: 9781527503540.
- GOODALL M.D. (2017): "Film Fusions: the Cult Film in World Cinema ", The Routledge Companion to World Cinema, Routledge, Oxford ISBN: 9781138918801, pp. 369-381.
- Goodall M.D (2016): "Spaghetti Savages: cinematic perversions of 'Django Kill'", Critical Perspectives on the Western, L. Broughton (ed.), Rowman and Littlefield, Lanham, Maryland ISBN: 9781442272422, pp. 199-212.
- Goodall M.D. (2016): "When Jake Met Georges: the Chanson Across the Channel", The Singer-Songwriter in Europe, Marc, E and Green, S (eds.), Routledge, London and New York ISBN: 9781472452108, pp. 177-189.
- Goodall M.D. (2014): "Out of sight: the mediation of the music festival ", The Pop Festival: History, Music, Media, Culture, G McKay (ed.), Bloomsbury, London.
- Goodall M.D. (2013): "The Italian Mondo Documentary Film", Popular Italian Cinema , L. Bayman and S. Rigoletto (eds.), Palgrave, Basingstoke ISBN: 9780230300163, pp. 226-240.
- Goodall M.D. (2012): "Under the Volcano…the Beach: Malcolm Lowry and the Situationists ", Lowry in Space, M. Mota and Richard Lane (eds.), UBC, Vancouver.
- Goodall M.D. (2012): "An Exhibition of Atrocities", Extreme Metaphors: Interviews with J.G. Ballard 1967-2008, S. Sellars and D. OHara (eds.), Fourth Estate, London ISBN: 0007454856, pp. 443- 446.
- Goodall M.D. (2012): "Live Ate: Global Catastrophe and the Politics and Poetics of the Italian Zombie Film", European Nightmares: European Horror Cinema since 1945, P. Allmer, E. Brick, D. Huxley (ed.), Columbia University Press, New York ISBN: 023116209X, pp. 157-166.
Goodall M.D. (2010): "The Real Faces of Death: Art Shock in Des Morts", From the Grindhouse to the Arthouse, J. Cline and R.G. Wiener (eds.), Scarecrow Press, Lanham ISBN: 978-0-8108-76545, pp. 244-263.
For more information see: http://www.scarecrowpress.com
Goodall M.D. (2010): "Salford Drift: a psychogeography of The Fall", Messing up the Paintwork, M. Goddard (ed.), Ashgate, London ISBN: 978-0-7546-6867-1.
For more information see: http://www.ashgate.com/default.aspx?page=637&pageSubject=310&calcTitle=1&title_id=9452&edition_id=12
Goodall M.D. (2009): "Lowrytrek: towards a psychogeography of Malcolm Lowry’s Wirral
", Malcolm Lowry: From the Mersey to the World , B.Biggs and H.Tookey (eds.), Liverpool University Press, Liverpool ISBN: 9781846312281 .
- Goodall M.D. (2008): "10 Real Mondo Deaths", The Book of Lists: Horror, Wallace, Amy; Howison, D and Bradley, S (eds.), Harper Paperbacks, New York ISBN: 0061537268 .
Goodall M.D. (2008): "Mondo Roma: images of Italy in the Shockumentary Tradition", Cinematic Rome, R. Wrigley (ed.), Troubador, Leicester ISBN: 1906510282.
For more information see: http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=616
- Goodall M.D. (2006): "Shockumentary Evidence: the perverse politics of the mondo film ", Remapping World Cinema: identity culture and politics in film , S.H. Lim, S. Dennison (ed.), Wallflower Press, London ISBN: 1904764622.
- Goodall M.D. (2002): "Trashing the Net: Subcultural Practice Online ", Intelligent Agents for Mobile and Virtual Media, R. Earnshaw, J. Vince (ed.), Springer-Verlag ISBN: 1852335564.
- GOODALL M.D. (2014): "The Poetics of Cinematic Space: George Perec and Alain Robbe-Grillet", Teesside University, Middlesbrough, UK.
- GOODALL M.D. (2012): "Helter Skelter: Charles Manson goes to the Movies", Cine-excess 6, London, UK.
- GOODALL M.D. (2011): "The Cult of Death: how cinema imagines he final exit", UCL, LONDON, UK.
- Goodall M.D. (2009): "Under the Volcano…the Beach: Malcolm Lowry and the Situationists", Malcolm Lowry Centenary International Conference, Vancouver, Canada.
- Goodall M.D. (2009): "Dolce e Selvaggio: the Italian mondo documentary film", Italian Popular Cinema , London (King's College), UK.
- Goodall M.D. (2009): "L’Occhio Selvaggio: Towards an Occult Film Studies", Anglia Ruskin College, Cambridge, UK.
- Goodall MD (2008): "Under the Volcano...the Beach: the delirium of cinematic interpretation", Literature on Screen Conference, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Goodall MD and Robison DR (2008): "At the Foot of the Uncanny Valley: the zombie and cultural anxiety", Conference (21st Century Anxiety), Nottingham, UK.
Goodall MD (2008): "Salford Drift; a psychogeography of The Fall", Salford, Manchester, UK.
For more information see: http://www.ccm.salford.ac.uk/ccm/p/?s=4&pid=2
- Goodall MD (2008): "Death in Haiti: the emergence of the pseudo-mondo film", Conference, London, UK.
- Goodall M (2007): "The Wild Eye: Experiments in Film Studies and Media Practice", MeCCSA Conference 2008, Cardiff, Wales.
- Goodall M D (2007): "National Pornographic: a psychogeography of the mondo film", Cine-Excess international conference, London, UK.
- Goodall M D (2007): "Atrocity Exhibition: the shock documentary and the mondo tradition", Documentary Now! A Conference on the Contemporary Context and Possibilities for the Documentary Genre. (Brunel University) Birkbeck College, London, UK.
Goodall M D (2006): "Live Ate: Global Catastrophe and the Politics and Poetics of the Italian Zombie Film
", European Nightmares Online An International Conference on European Horror Cinema
, Manchester (MMU), UK.
For more information see: http://www.miriad.mmu.ac.uk/visualculture/inc/nightmares/conference.php
- Goodall M D (2006): "Unspeakable Cults, Strange Rituals, Erotic Rites: witchcraft in the mondo film", Charming & Crafty: Witchcraft & Paganism in Contemporary Media Harvard University, Cambridge, US.
- Goodall M (2005): "Mondo Roma: Images of Italy in the Shockumentary Tradition", Cinematic Rome, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK.
- Goodall M (2005): "Not Gazing But Watching: the enigma of the film audience, Edinburgh Film Guild (2005) Trashing the Net: subcultural practice online ", Not Gazing But Watching: the enigma of the film audience, Film Guild , Edinburgh , UK.
- Goodall M (2004): "Animal Tragic: the use and abuse of animals in mondo films ", Animal Magic, NMPFT , Bradford, UK.
- Allen P and Goodall M (2004): "Mondo Modality: framing and composition in the work of Godfrey Reggio ", Crash Cinema 3, Bradford , UK.
- Goodall M (2003): "Psychedelica Exotica: global weirdness in 1970s cinema ", Bite the Mango inaugural world cinema conference, NMPFT , Bradford, UK.
- Goodall M (2003): "From Addio to Zio: a mondo movie index ", Crash Cinema 2, NMPFT Bradford , Bradford, UK.
- Goodall M (2002): "Trashing the Net: subcultural practice online ", Crash Cinema, NMPFT , Bradford, UK.
- Goodall M (2002): "Shockumentary Evidence: the perverse politics of the mondo film ", World Cinemas: identity, culture, politics, University of Leeds , Leeds, UK.
- Goodall M (2001): "Trashing the Net: subcultural practice online ", Intelligent Agents for Mobile & Virtual Media, NMPFT, Bradford, UK.
- Goodall M (1996): "Guy Debord: an audio-visual tribute ", Thinking Alien, University of Leeds , Leeds, UK.