Civil and Structural Engineering
Civil and Structural Engineering is the conception, design, construction and maintenance of the built environment; this includes all our major buildings, transportation systems, water supply and wastewater disposal systems, and all the infrastructure associated with power generation and distribution.
Our courses will therefore prepare you for a profession which creates the very fabric of our society.
In addition, more Civil Engineering graduates have good-quality graduate track jobs six months after graduation than those of any other discipline (AGCAS, Graduate prospects and UCAS), and our own employment statistics are amongst the best in the country.
A specialist Civil Engineering Advisory Board also helps to ensure our courses are in tune with the needs of the construction industry.
At a Glance
- We are in the top 16 universities in the UK for Civil Engineering*
- BEng (3 or 4-years) and MEng (4 or 5-years) course options.
- Our courses are professionally accredited by the Joint board of Moderators (JBM) which includes the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), the Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE), The Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation (CIHT) and The Institute of of Highway Engineers (IHE).
- Our specialist Civil Engineering Advisory Board also helps to ensure our courses are in tune with the needs of the construction industry.
- Courses are designed for those wishing to become Chartered Engineers.
- Study core Civil Engineering disciplines such as Structural, Materials, Geotechnical, Water and Environmental Engineering.
- MEng level adds an additional depth of study across the full spectrum of Civil Engineering, including further individual project work and a strong emphasis on management issues.
- An optional year of industrial training is available following the second year of studies (BEng and MEng).
- We also offer an MSc in Civil and Structural Engineering, also accredited by the Joint board of Moderators.