Dementia Care Mapping™
Dementia Care Mapping™ is an established approach to achieving and embedding person-centred care for people with dementia, recognised by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence.
For over 20 years it has been used by care practitioners to improve quality of life for people living with dementia in a range of care settings, including care homes and hospitals.
Dementia Care Mapping™ prepares staff to take the perspective of the person with dementia in assessing the quality of the care they provide. It empowers staff teams to engage in evidence-based critical reflection in order to improve the quality of care for people living with dementia.
More about DCM
Training in DCM is provided by University of Bradford approved trainers, and by our partner organisations in more than 10 countries. Developed at the University of Bradford by the late Professor Tom Kitwood, it has been revised and updated at regular intervals.
The Dementia Care Mapping cycle provides an ongoing evidence base for developing person-centred practice and achieving practice change and includes these phases.
Dementia Care Mapping can be used for different purposes including:
- quality monitoring and improvement
- individual assessment and care planning
- review of key times of the day
- staff development and training needs analysis.
It has been used as part of a developmental, supervisory framework for staff who support people living in their own homes, and with other vulnerable groups of people who have communication difficulties.
Introduction to DCM
DCM™ for Realising Person Centred Care: Refresher Day
This workshop is designed for people who have completed a course in DCM for Realising Person Centred Care (Version 8) but who feel that they need a refresher on the DCM tool and process.Find out more
NEW: Dementia Care MappingTM for Realising Person Centred Care courses delivered online
We are now offering our award winning Dementia Care Mapping™ for Realising Person Centred Care training online using a range of different methods to support your learning including live tutorials on Zoom and self-directed learning using videos, quizzes, reading and discussion forums on our virtual learning environment, Canvas.
The next course will commence on the 3rd May 2021 and we are now taking bookings for this course. The structure of this course is:
- Week commencing 03/05/20201 – self-directed learning (1.5 hours), watching videos online and making introductions on our virtual learning environment
- Week commencing 10/05/2021 – 2 x 4.5 hour zoom tutorials (11h and 12th 9:00-13:30) and 4.5 hours self-directed learning in your own time
- Week commencing 17/05/2021 – 2 x 4.5 hour zoom tutorials (18th and 19th 9:00-13:30) and 4.5 hours self-directed learning in your own time
- Week commencing 24/05/2021 – 1 x 4.5 hour zoom tutorial (25th 9:00-13:30) with 6-8 hours self-directed learning to complete some Mapping before the final tutorial
- Week commencing 19/07/2021 – 1 x 4.5 hour zoom tutorial (20th 9:00-13:30)
The cost of the course is £975 per person and includes all online and hard copy training materials; access to our University online learning platform including our online library services; support from our expert Dementia Care Mapping™ trainers for the duration of the course; and a certificate of completion.
If you would like to book a place on the course, please complete the below booking form