Skip to content
Open menu Close menu

University Work Register

Policy and Procedure

Help and support is available from Career and Employability Services at all stages of these procedures.

Casual, ad-hoc jobs

  • When a Department identifies a role suitable for a student, they complete the University worker request form (docx, 40 KB)‌ and send it to You will then need to send a signed copy through the post.
  • The role is advertised to students on the University Work Register and, when an appropriate student has been identified, we confirm the details by sending the Department a customised timesheet which they must use to authorise payment. However, Departments may request a specific student if they have already developed a working relationship with them.
  • After the work is completed, the Department must authorise payment by returning the completed customised timesheet. Students are paid monthly and it is important that timesheets are returned in line with the pay submission dates.
  • Career and Employability Services then arranges payment and deals with any student queries relating to pay.
  • Payslips can be collected by the student from the Career and Employability Services on pay day. They will need to bring their student card.
  • It is expected that the Department will manage any performance or reliability issues, with appropriate support from Career and Employability Services. Please see our Dealing with Performance Issues guidelines if you need any help.
  • Career and Employability Services will also collect feedback from the student and, if any issues arise, we will discuss these with the Department.
  • Students cannot work beyond the end of the contract and no payments will be made outside of the contract.  When a student’s contract runs out, they may be offered an extension of another year (or for a set period of time negotiated with you), after a minimum break of 4 weeks subject to University need and subject to eligibility to work