Helen McHattie FHEA
Academic Skills Adviser (Maths)
- Department: Academic Skills Advice
- Location: B0.10 Chesham Building
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: 01274 235987
Helen offers mathematics advice and support via maths clinics or one-to-one/small group appointments. She provides support across a range of courses and modules, from basic up to advanced level, and can help you improve your maths skills in general or work towards passing a maths test for your course.
How students engage with self-help resources and the processes for developing deeper understanding of techniques
How do people think/react when faced with maths problems and why is it different to what they just do naturally with ‘real life’ problems
Teaching & Advising Responsibilities
Helen teaches/advises in:
- Drop-in maths clinics 3 times per week
- one-to-one/small group appointments.
Teaching has included:
- Module leader for Numeracy and IT module on Foundation degree 17-18
- Maths for Science foundation module and Prelim Maths for Economics module
- Providing support and team teaching with Academics in Maths for Economists levels 1 & 2 seminars
- Levels 1 & 2 Key Skills, GCSE and A level maths
- IT classes in using basic software.
- On behalf of the Sigma network Helen co-delivered a nation-wide 1 day training course for new Maths Advisers, covering all aspects of working in a maths centre and offering maths advice & support.
Helen has a BSc (Hons) in Mathematics & IT from the University of Liverpool. She also has a PGCE in Further Education from the University of Huddersfield and an MSc in Tourism Management from the University of Surrey.
Prior to being a Maths Adviser Helen had a varied career including:
- College Lecturer in Mathematics and Numeracy at all levels from Entry level 1 up to AS level
- Secondary Maths teacher and Kindergarten Art & PE teacher onboard a hospital ship in Africa (voluntary work)
- Computer Aided Learning Instructor – helping students to develop their IT skills
- IT Trainer & Assessor for NVQ levels 2 & 3
- Sports Attendant & Lifeguard
- Popcorn/candy floss sales and animal carer in Italian circus.
Professional Activities & Resource Development
Maths ‘A’ level resource writer for ‘Integral’ MEI’s virtual learning environment. The resources quickly received very positive feedback from school teachers and had hundreds of views in the first few months.
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Created a wealth of resources for student use including Summary Sheets, Practice Sheets, ‘Teach Yourself’ and Numerical Reasoning resources.
Created an online course to help students to bridge the gap between ‘A’ level and University level maths.
Currently writing questions in the hope of producing a mobile app to help students to become adept at all the maths they should be able to do without too much thinking.
Responsible for redesigning and maintaining the Academic Skills website.
Publications, Articles & Conference Presentations
Delderfield, R. and McHattie, H. (In Review) Person-centred dynamics in maths skills development: examining a case of good practice.
McHattie, H. (2017) Creating Maths Resources at the University of Bradford. Sigma Network for Excellence in Mathematics and Statistics Support Newsletter. Issue Feb 2017, pg 17.
Cross, M and McHattie, H. (2016) Increasing the focus on conceptual understanding to help students improve their long-term mathematics skills. Loughborough University: CETL-MSOR – Brave New World conference. Sep 2016 pg 24.