The Green is a purpose-built £40 million student village at the City Campus, putting students right at the heart of the University’s academic studies, student facilities, support services and social activities.
It is a fantastic place to live and is one of the most sustainable developments of its kind in the world, making the most of natural resources like solar power and rainwater, and costing very little to heat and light.
It provides a hugely welcoming and sociable environment for students living away from home for the first time, getting your university journey off to the perfect start.
- Types of accommodation - find out the difference between the townhouses and apartments
- Furnishings and facilities - have a look at where you'll be living, and how you'll do your laundry!
- Accommodation costs - how much is the rent, and how much does it cost to live in Bradford?
- Green features - what makes The Green so special?
- Green Ambassadors - find out about The Green's community spirit!
Free gym membership
Join us at the Green in September 2016 and take advantage of free off-peak gym membership at Unique.
Available to students on 42-week, semester 1 only and semester 2 only tenancies.
You will get off-peak access to Unique's fitness suite, swimming pool, weights room and weekend exercise classes.
Explore The Green using this interactive 360° tour:
Most sustainable residence in the world
The Green is the most sustainable development of its kind in the world, making the most of natural resources like solar power and rainwater and costing very little to heat and light.
A village concept
The Green offers you the best of both worlds – a secure and self-contained community minutes away from all our campus facilities and just a short stroll from the city centre.
- Buildings are arranged as a small village, with rooms available either in apartments with six en-suite bedrooms or 12-bedroom townhouses.
- At the centre of the village is 'The Orchard' which is central hub building that has the Accommodation and Management office and laundrette.
- The Orchard overlooks a biodiversity pond and offers a host of places to meet, socialise and relax within its attractive landscaped gardens.
The Green is both a fantastic place to live and a unique example of sustainable building design.
The village is the first student residential project in the country to achieve the BREEAM accolade of ‘outstanding’. This award is assessed through an analysis of building design and operation.
Social and community
- Student social programme - a team of students organise events, trips and competitions, as well as acting as ambassadors for sustainable living at The Green - all adding to the community spirit felt throughout the student village.
- The apartment and townhouse blocks are set around a central water feature - a biodiversity pond which reuses rain water, provides a home for a number of ducks birds and plant species and acts as a passive coolant in summer.
- There are lots of places to meet, socialise and relax within the attractive landscape gardens as well as built-in barbeque sets, external seating and grassed areas.
- The townhouses have patio doors at the back that lead onto grassed areas, so students have their own garden areas in which to plant their own vegetables and herbs.
Safety and security
Being located in the heart of the campus, the village benefits from being very secure.
- The village is staffed by 24 hour security.
- The development is accredited with the Secure by Design standard.
- There are 42 CCTV cameras operate throughout the site and feed back to a 24hr monitoring control room
- Ground floor windows are made with toughened glass, and each house and flat, as well as bedroom, has its own key fob.
A team of wardens live in The Green, offering advice and information to help students settle into university life.
Senior and student Wardens are on duty every weeknight and all weekend, running regular surgeries to discuss any problems.
The Green is a partnership between the University of Bradford and Surtees Management Co Ltd.
Surtees Management Co Ltd owns the buildings; however, the University and its Accommodation Team have the responsibility to administer the lettings, manage the tenancy contracts and provide all the services in The Green to students. The University's Accommodation Team are highly experienced in providing an excellent quality of service to our customers - the students.
Accepting a place in The Green creates a legally binding contract between you and Surtees Management Company Limited, the provider of this accommodation.
Please contact us if there is anything you do not understand.