Norms, Deviance and Culture
Module code: SAC4021-B
Download the PDF for Norms, Deviance and Culture
- To theoretically explain how and why societies construct social norms.
- To describe culture and meanings, their construction, maintenance and transformations.
- To discuss the role of social structures and interactions in maintaining norms and defining deviance and criminality.
- To consider these phenomena in light of contemporary changes brought about by the increasing influence of media and globalization in society.
- To question concepts and theories through critically examining taken for granted explanations pertaining to crime and deviance.
- To develop an academically nuanced perspective on norms, deviance, and culture in relation to policy and the criminal justice system.