Module code: CSE4008-D
"Sustainable design seeks to reduce negative impacts on the environment, and the health and comfort of building occupants, thereby improving building performance. The basic objectives of sustainability are to reduce consumption of non-renewable resources, minimize waste, and create healthy, productive environments."
The module aims to:
* Develop the students confidence and ability to apply a range of communication methods and media to present simple design proposals clearly and effectively as well as an ability to evaluate and rework ideas in response to review and feedback.
* Introduce students to the skills, processes and practices involved in a spatial design project and create an awareness of the issues influencing the environmental and technical considerations of building design.
* Enable students to acquire knowledge of surveying, construction and maintenance and understand the significance of material attributes and their influence on the design process.
* Orient and critically engage the student in understanding the constructional and structural systems, the environmental strategies and the regulatory requirements that apply to the design and construction of a simple design project.
* Enable students to engage through field work to consolidate the theoretical studies in surveying & construction methods so that students gain an understanding of the nature of construction and surveying and develop skills in problem solving and group work.
Download the PDF for Sustainable Design Studio 1