Special Collections News
Building Works News and Service Issues updates on works and other concerns which may affect our services.
June 2017. New Project Archivist, new project blog - exciting times!
May 2017. Want to be a librarian?
The Library is advertising for a Graduate Trainee. Closing date 6 June.
May 2017. An appreciation
Remembering John Waddington-Feather, writer, teacher, priest and prison visitor, who died on 28 April.
March 2017. We're hiring!
We're looking for an experienced Project Archivist to catalogue the Calvin Wells Archive. The role is funded by the Wellcome Trust as part of the Putting Flesh on the Bones project and is available for 18 months from June 2017. Vacancy webpage.
March 2017. Welcome to fashionable Yorkshire
Discover some amazing costumes worn by fantastic Yorkshirewomen from 1610 to the present at Lotherton Hall. We loaned letters and a book of travels written by Mary Holden Illingworth, whose outfits are among the highlights of a new exhibition. More detail in this blog post.
February 2017. Sketches on show at People Power
2017 offers a very rare chance to see the original sketches of the ‘peace symbol’. Special Collections and the Trustees of the Commonweal Collection are lending them to a major exhibition at the IWM, People Power: Fighting for Peace, on show 23 March - 28 August 2017. Find out more in this blog post.
January 2017. Bigger and Better: the Special Collections Handbook reborn
In 2011, Facet Publishing published a textbook by the Special Collections Librarian, Alison Cullingford: the Special Collections Handbook. The Handbook aimed to introduce librarians and archivists to all aspects of this rapidly changing side of librarianship, from caring for collections to finding funding. It proved so popular that a second, completely revised and much enlarged edition was commissioned and is now available for purchase.
We share all our news via our blogs and Twitter account:
- Special Collections blog. Service news, images, collections, exhibitions, J.B. Priestley stories, Yorkshire, University history.
- Celebrating Jacquetta Hawkes. News and stories linked to this remarkable archaeologist, poet, and artist.
- Putting Flesh on the Bones. Cataloguing and digitising the archive of Calvin Wells.
You might also enjoy these historic blogs (not currently updated, but preserved indefinitely).
- PaxCat Project. Blog posts by Helen Roberts, project archivist, reflecting on the extraordinary stories behind the Commonweal Archives. 2009-2010.
- 100 Objects Bradford. Online exhibition of the very best of Special Collections. 2011-2014.
- The Eleventh Hour. Bringing the Mitrinovic Archive to life! Philosophy, literature, religions, politics, the occult and much more. By Project Archivist, Emma Burgham. 2015-2016.
- A Cabinet of Gems. Beautiful and interesting images from the collections.
Special Collections News Archive news stories from our past: exhibitions, funding, awards and more.
Special Collections Newsletters back issues with more stories.