Our established track record of high impact research covers a broad spectrum of topics, from fundamental computer science concepts and theories to innovative and very successful applications in various fields. We are actively involved in the three main University research themes:
Our key strengths are
- Securing funding from the main UK Research Councils and European Union
- Strong connections with many industrial, commercial and public sector organisations
- High impact journal and conference publications and a significant track record of patent inventions
- Providing high quality supervision to numerous PhD students recruited from all over the world
- Long-term relationships with prestigious universities, research groups and industrial partners
Most recent achievements
- Creation of a cosmetics ingredients database and development of computer models to predict interactions with an organism – COSMOS project
- Developing new solar imaging algorithms to detect solar features that are responsible for Solar Spectral Irradiance – SOLID project
- Development of Future Communications Systems for Civil Aircraft
Our School is recruiting highly motivated PhD candidates to work in a vibrant and challenging research environment. Interested candidates can find details about the research topics, registration, fees and other useful information from our page for Research Students
Latest Research News
COSMOS - Computing research team in €50 million European public-private partnership
SITARA - Global Innovation Initiative Grant Awarded
3-day Multidisciplinary Workshop on: Employing ICT in the Health and Well-being of Older People
Current research is carried out in three Research Units
The Applied Computing Research Unit is carrying out world-leading research in the fields of Data Analytics and Big Data, Artificial Intelligence, Visual Computing, Cloud Computing, Internet of Things(IoT), Semantic Web/Linked Data, and Mobile Applications. This research unit has strong links with variety of industrial partners, public sector organisations and healthcare providers.
Communications and Networks
We have a long and established history of research in the field of telecommunications, which can be traced back to the mid '80s. Most of our research activities are funded by EU, national, international funding councils and have strong links with industries to ensuring that we remain at the cutting edge of research and development. In particular, we have a strong presence in the EU research community, contributing significantly to various EU Framework Programme projects in the ICT and Aeronautics and Transport areas.
Theory of Computation
The Research Unit members have contributed to a broad range of core computer science topics and have developed throughout the years collaborations and research projects with leading research groups all over the world. Their research interests have also expanded into other research domains, including applications and tools development.